Coating an insert tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm just too lazy to do a search. I notice that many use some sort of coating or paint to cover the brass tube when it will show through the pen plank. What do you pen makers use? Does it change the OD of the tube any? I have some acrylic blanks for pens that might have the tube show through and don't want to mess them up. Thanks to all for your time and advice. :highfive:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm just too lazy to do a search. I notice that many use some sort of coating or paint to cover the brass tube when it will show through the pen plank. What do you pen makers use? Does it change the OD of the tube any? I have some acrylic blanks for pens that might have the tube show through and don't want to mess them up. Thanks to all for your time and advice. :highfive:

Most reverse paint the blank to hid any marks left by drilling.

I use Some use acrylic craft paint but I use Testors model paint. As for the clearance you will just have to experiment.

You can also experiment with the color. Different colors with drastically change the color of the blank.

One thing with using craft paint I think CA glue will dissolve it so best to use epoxy.

I use a 2x4 with nails hammered into it as a based for holding, I use a Flat Enamel Spray Paint like Krylon. This way I can spray several tubes at once and it is a much thinner coating then painting it on.

What works for me, may not work for all. But I have found minimal issues with seeing tubes. Even with enamel, the CA does dissolve the paint, but only when rubbed and if you move too slow.

I hear the Testors model paint works well too, I just thinks its a little pricey, but what is another couple of $$$ when you are selling pens for a decent markup.

jttheclockman

I am in the paint the inside of the blank and do not paint the tube corner. I use Testors acrylic paints. I will also take a piece of sandpaper and roll it up and sand inside of blank to get rid of any drill marks left behind. I apply the paint with a Q-tip. I let dry for 24 hours and I too use epoxy to glue my tubes in. Sometimes I will add a drop of paint to the epoxy as a just in case thing. As far as hole size, it may have to be reamed if you are adding thick paint and the drill bit was a tight fit to begin with. But I found sanding some will take of that. All this is part of being a good pen maker. the more steps you avoid the more the product will show it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use Krylon spray paint & shoot a stream for about 1-2 sec into the blank from each end. I also give the tube a light coat of paint, although it probably isn't necessary. Then I let the paint dry at least 24 hours, but usually 3 or 4 days (mostly because that's the usual frequency of my shop time).

If I don't overdo the spray, I usually don't have a problem when I test fit the tube into the blank, but if I do, I just run the drill bit back through the blank by hand & check to make sure that I didn't scrape off too much paint.

I use medium CA - works for me, but I won't disagree with those who prefer epoxy.

MrFrost

For those that use Krylon, what color(s) do you prefer? I am currently using the acrylic paint from Walmart but notice that it is hard to coat evenly and seems to scratch easily, and am thinking that spray paint may be the better route, but I currently try to get as close of a color match as possible, and not sure if the general consensus is to just paint them white with Krylon?

howsitwork

I'm intrigued. I see the point in painting the tube or inside the blank with transparent or semi transparent plastics but anyone ever had any trouble with delamination of tube from blank?

I scuff up my tubes before gluing ( using epoxy for a variety of reasons) to give a sounder key for the glue. If you paint the surface then my concern would be delamination at the paint / glue interface. Has this ever troubled anyone?

Regards Ian

magpens

As others have said, reverse paint the hole in the blank.

Yes, the fit of the tube in the hole will be affected, but with experience you will find out how much it is affected and you can compensate, if necessary, by drilling a VERY slightly larger diameter hole.

howsitwork

I might try adding a little glitter to the epoxy next batch and see how that looks as on some pens I can see swirls of glue through the transluscent bits but they actually add depth to the finish and I've never thought about hiding them before.

Will keep you posted next month how it works out.

Ian

More4dan

Krylon like Edgar describes, a short blast from both ends. I then wipe the overspray off, chuck it back in the lathe and spin at max rpm. It leaves a smooth consistent finish on the inside. Overnight drying is a must. I probably have 8 different colors on the bench. You can paint a stick with different colors to see the effect on the blank. Drill and turn down a small section (drop piece) and polish. Then insert the painted stick to see effect of different colors on your blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom