Coating an insert tube - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Question Coating an insert tube

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm just too lazy to do a search. I notice that many use some sort of coating or paint to cover the brass tube when it will show through the pen plank. What do you pen makers use? Does it change the OD of the tube any? I have some acrylic blanks for pens that might have the tube show through and don't want to mess them up. Thanks to all for your time and advice.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm just too lazy to do a search. I notice that many use some sort of coating or paint to cover the brass tube when it will show through the pen plank. What do you pen makers use? Does it change the OD of the tube any? I have some acrylic blanks for pens that might have the tube show through and don't want to mess them up. Thanks to all for your time and advice.
Most reverse paint the blank to hid any marks left by drilling.

I use Some use acrylic craft paint but I use Testors model paint. As for the clearance you will just have to experiment.

You can also experiment with the color. Different colors with drastically change the color of the blank.

One thing with using craft paint I think CA glue will dissolve it so best to use epoxy.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use a 2x4 with nails hammered into it as a based for holding, I use a Flat Enamel Spray Paint like Krylon. This way I can spray several tubes at once and it is a much thinner coating then painting it on.

What works for me, may not work for all. But I have found minimal issues with seeing tubes. Even with enamel, the CA does dissolve the paint, but only when rubbed and if you move too slow.

I hear the Testors model paint works well too, I just thinks its a little pricey, but what is another couple of $$$ when you are selling pens for a decent markup.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post

One thing with using craft paint I think CA glue will dissolve it so best to use epoxy.
I also prefer epoxy; and add a drop of paint to the epoxy - it will help.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I am in the paint the inside of the blank and do not paint the tube corner. I use Testors acrylic paints. I will also take a piece of sandpaper and roll it up and sand inside of blank to get rid of any drill marks left behind. I apply the paint with a Q-tip. I let dry for 24 hours and I too use epoxy to glue my tubes in. Sometimes I will add a drop of paint to the epoxy as a just in case thing. As far as hole size, it may have to be reamed if you are adding thick paint and the drill bit was a tight fit to begin with. But I found sanding some will take of that. All this is part of being a good pen maker. the more steps you avoid the more the product will show it.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

I use Krylon spray paint & shoot a stream for about 1-2 sec into the blank from each end. I also give the tube a light coat of paint, although it probably isn't necessary. Then I let the paint dry at least 24 hours, but usually 3 or 4 days (mostly because that's the usual frequency of my shop time).

If I don't overdo the spray, I usually don't have a problem when I test fit the tube into the blank, but if I do, I just run the drill bit back through the blank by hand & check to make sure that I didn't scrape off too much paint.

I use medium CA - works for me, but I won't disagree with those who prefer epoxy.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

For those that use Krylon, what color(s) do you prefer? I am currently using the acrylic paint from Walmart but notice that it is hard to coat evenly and seems to scratch easily, and am thinking that spray paint may be the better route, but I currently try to get as close of a color match as possible, and not sure if the general consensus is to just paint them white with Krylon?
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Thanks to all. Will experiment.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm intrigued. I see the point in painting the tube or inside the blank with transparent or semi transparent plastics but anyone ever had any trouble with delamination of tube from blank?

I scuff up my tubes before gluing ( using epoxy for a variety of reasons) to give a sounder key for the glue. If you paint the surface then my concern would be delamination at the paint / glue interface. Has this ever troubled anyone?

Regards Ian
howsitwork is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 49

As others have said, reverse paint the hole in the blank.

Yes, the fit of the tube in the hole will be affected, but with experience you will find out how much it is affected and you can compensate, if necessary, by drilling a VERY slightly larger diameter hole.

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads