Coast to coast lathe....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So I'm going to be moving. I was just living where I am now on a temporary basis so everything I have can be returned to oregon via carry on and check in luggage. However..... while here I've purchased a rikon mini lathe and aquired a few things..... namely probably 350+ blanks. I would VERY MUCH like all these to make the trip to Oregon with me. I've nosed around a few freight and small move sites....... anyone have any advice? How do I pack this thing? Anyone done anything similar and have maybe a good shipping company to recommended? Will it be easier if I tell them I'm shipping Limburger Cheese? Ok, maybe not that last one.

Or will I be better off *sigh* just selling the thing and buying a new one when I arrive? IF I can sell it that is...

Thanks all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnccutter

Matthue I'd guess if you look at having your stuff freighted back to oregon it would be pretty resonable if you stay away from the shippers like UPS, nad FedX. if you box it up and send it with a freight comapany they will charge a resonble fee. check and see who the shippers are in your current town and go from there. I ship all the time and a 100.bucks goes a long way. You may need to build a crate for you stuff, so start thinking about that aspect.

Erik

nava1uni

If you live near a Woodcraft ask them if they have the boxes that lathes are shipped in to them. My woodcraft has a bin full of packing materials and carboard boxes that tools are shipped in. You could probably get the stuff to make a shipping package that will allow you to ship it. The blanks and kits and things could be packed into large flat rate boxes and sent to Oregon.

MatthewZS

This is happening on a VERY tight budget, so I have to ask: what is this 100 dollars of which you speak?

:)

My biggest issue was that I didn't know if I should put this thing back in cardboard and foam or a wood crate or both and UPS sorta gave me this "however you want to do it" attitude. I think my concerns for it's safety outweight their concerns for their packaging requirements. I hadn't thought about hitting up the woodcraft, but your right, they'll probably have everything it was shipped in to begin with.

Andrew Arndts

well you can ship about 150 or so pen blanks in a medium flat rate box for about 11 dollars. not sure how much you can get in a Large flat rate granted that is about 33 dollars but with a tracking number and some insurance your gold for the blanks.

LarryDNJR

Reasons I keep all my boxes for Tools, electronics, most anything that has resell or needs to be moved etc.

I hope you get something figured out to get everything transported.

At least send the blanks and such.

The lathe if you can and it isn't in to bad shape or to old try and sell it but get at least 1/2 to 3/4 what you paid for it if possible, then justify yourself for an upgraded model little later. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
USPS

A large Flat Rate Box will ship for a little over $15 and you can probably get a couple of hundred blanks in one. If your lathe's shipping weight less than 70 pounds it can also be shipped USPS priority mail or parcel post. You can go to www.USPS.com if you know the weight and find out. Priority mail mailing boxes are free from USPS and they have quite a few choices.

sgimbel

I live in Round Rock and seriously if you want me to store some stuff and then send it to you a little at a time let me know. I have a new Rikon and I would want it moved with me.

markgum

when I moved, to WA, I used ABF. Packed everything in the trailer and tied it down. was the cheapest way to go.

MatthewZS

I live in Round Rock and seriously if you want me to store some stuff and then send it to you a little at a time let me know. I have a new Rikon and I would want it moved with me.

That's much appreciated but storage isn't the problem. I took a hiatus from the world at my parents house. The lathe is currently sitting in my dad's shop and it'll sit there happily forever if need be.

The Lathe is 86 pounds before I crate it up and the CHEAPEST I've been able to find is ....um, roadrunner freight I think it was at 264 dollars.... well, I paid that much for the lathe. I'm begining to think I may just sell the thing as someone suggested and buy another when I'm up there. I'll just have to practice my deep breathing to keep from going nvts.

MatthewZS

Cooincidentally ABF wants 1500 something minumum. Now that would be enough room to move EVERYTHING I have but it's also about 1450 more spare dollars than I've got:)

Top Bottom