Clutch pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamesbil

Hi all,

New member here getting back to turning.

I got a sample of a great quality German 5.6mm mechanism a little similar to the sketch workshop pencils.
It is mechanism only, not a kit. The od at the nib end is 12.7mm and is threadded with M10 x 0.75. The other end is a sharpener cap with a diameter of 10.5mm.
So as you can see it either needs an 11mm brass tube threaded to M10, or as I have done, drill the blank at 9.5mm right through and 11mm one end part way. Then thread the mechanism into the wood. (or drill to 10mm and epoxy it in?)

I have successfully turned a few barrels for it.
Barrel is 78mm long.

Any advice on turning this a little easier?

Attachments

• DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

That looks really interesting - and it looks good, too. :)

Could you show us the top end and the mech by itself. That would help me to visualize a different solution.

jamesbil

Any ideas? I can't help thinking there must be a better way. I'm new to pen turning and came up with this method first go. You seasoned turners must have a better method. Is it okay not to use a tube? Are 11 mm threaded tubes available?
Any advice appreciated.

James

The deluxe sketch pen they are supposed to be for, does use a threaded tube. I'm not where I can measure one at the moment. I'd give PSI a call. Another option might be the CSUSA version. They use a tube with a threaded insert. These are much longer than the PSI version. Give them both a call, and see if either fits what you need.

Top Bottom