Cloth backed sandpaper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kirk Dietrich

I'm looking to get some cloth backed sand paper but need it today so can't order on-line although I will eventually.
The local hardware stores all say they have emory cloth paper that is sold for scuffing up copper pipes.
Anyone use that before?

Thanks,
Kirk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wingdoctor

Kirk, I just saw your question and I realize that "Today" is about gone, but; Emory cloth is a sanding medium that is designed to be used on metal. Obviously wood and acrylic is softer and you can use it for these also. The hardware store may be limited on the grit selection, not knowing what you are going to use this for I cannot offer any specific advise. The cloth backer is fairly stiff at first but it is workable. I hope this helps.

plantman

Kirk; In thr future you might want to take a look at Online Industrial Supply. They carry all grades, sizes, and types of papers. I use cloth backed paper for first sandings. 120, 220, 300, and 400 grits. I almost never sand with power on, and only with the grain or side to side. Your fingers or thumb can pick up imperfections in a finish that your eyes can't see. At least my eyes !! Jim S

Last edited:

Kirk Dietrich

Wing, you are right on the money, the smallest grit they had was something like 120! I did find a roll of 240 cloth back 1" wide for a table top belt sander, I think there is like 50' on it; got it at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. I tried it last night and it worked great.

Plantman, thanks the source suggestion. Also, I didn't think of sanding without the power. I have spot sanded some indents without power but didn't think of doing the whole thing.

I took someone's suggestion on tyring to get as smooth as you can with your tool. When I was done the turning, I sharpened my chisel with my 800 grit waterstone and got a good edge and lightly turned a little and it smoothed out the blank nicely. Then, I used a Scotch Brite pad with very little pressure with the blank spinning to get rid of the grain fuzz.
Then I removed the blank and applied a super thin formula CA to one half, which absorbs right in to the wood and then wiped the excess off really smooth, stood it up on the untreated end and after top half cured, applied the CA to the other.
After both sides are dry, I put on the lathe and smoothed out the slight roughness caused by the CA raising grain with the Scotch Brite pad. Then I put some wood dust from turning the blanks on the pad and raised the speed and buffed out. These are the best looking blanks I've done so far. Next, I'll apply some coats of the WTF from Ed to finish it off.

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Dietrich

Carp, I picked up a pack when I was at Harbor getting the roll of belt cloth backed paper. That screen does work good especially for this un-stabilized pecan that I got out of my wood pile where it tends to chip out with the chisel. I'll get close but not to close and sand the wood down to the deepest chipout.

Kirk

orlandopens

When I am in a pinch I will use paper sheet. I cut to size then add a layer or two of duct tape to the back side for reinforcement.

Top Bottom