closed ends

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

i haven't really sat down in my shop to mull this one over yet, but i figured i'd see if anyone else has tackled this yet.

has anyone figured out a way to do closed enders without the use of the AS mandrels? i can imagine how it might be done in my head... maybe a small jam chuck or something? or a dowel that has been turned to the specific size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Narwhale

Lots do.
It is easy to use a dowel as a jamb chuck and the tailstock to support the end.
Tapering the tube lets you get narrower towards the ends, which some say adds some grace. This is also kind of easy with a couple of tricks.
(I cut the tubes, wrap 1/4" wide masking tape around the next smaller size tube till a good friction fit. Slide taped tube inside end, then CA glue the connection. Then do again to get good taper. The extra brass tube sizes are from extra tube stock or from hobby store stocl.)
Rich S.

bgray

This may be a little difficult to describe, but here's another way...

You drill a 1/4" hole down into the blank. This will accomodate the end of a standard mandrel. Then drill the larger hole for the tube.

Then you mount the pen with a regular bushing, and the end of a standard mandrel will fit perfectly down into the 1/4" hole, keeping the entire assembly centered.

This must be supported by the tailstock, and then you need to tape the piece to keep it from spinning.

Bottom line, is that the AZ chucks are pretty cheap, and work great, so I usually use them. And if they don't have the right size one, I own enough machining tooling to make my own pin chucks.

But in a pinch, the method mentioned above will work. Let me know if its not totally clear...hard to put into print.

Rmartin

I've done it much like Brian. I took a regular blank drilled with brass tube glued up and then glued an extra scrap piece to one end. Mounted it on a mandrel with bushing on head stock end and tail stock end directly to scrap wood end. Turned it to shape. Parted off scrap piece after sanding the blank.

Texatdurango

Don Ward provided some instructions and a simple diagram on how to do this. I had already bought the AS mandrels but tried his method and it worked just fine.

It should be in the tutorials but I can't find it, if interested try dropping him (it's virgil) a note.

George

toolcrazy

My first Baron closed end I did using a adjustable mandrel as described above. I measured the end of the mandrel and made the small hole a bit smaller and the just threaded the mandrel down into the blank. Then I bought the mandrel from AS, and that is slick too.

I also remember reading about using the HF transfer punches for this too, I haven't tried that one yet.

its_virgil

I've made a better diagram. See if this one is better.
200773051536_Alternate%20closed%20end%20mandrel.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />thanks for all the info y'all.

fstepanski

Don's diagram above says it all.. Beleive Russ Fairfield has a video describing this process. http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Video.html it's about mid way down the page Pen-2 "Advanced Pencrafting"
- Removing the center-band
- Sharpening the Skew Chisel
- Making our own center band
- No clip, no finial, solid top
- We all make mistakes,
- The Ameroclassic ballpoint
- Fountain Pens & Rollerballs

I see live demo it's great info..

Happy turning
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.