closed end tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I was looking for a tutorial on how to do a closed end pen with a regular mandrel. I could have sworn i read one somewhere before but cannot find it for the life of me.

A friend wants to check it out, but i can't locate it.

It is the tutorial on doing closed end with a regular mandrel. I know there is one in the Library where you drill all the way through the blank and cap the hole, but this one was different. It was for a true closed end pen.

Maybe i was imagining it... If so, then maybe it is time for me to write my first tutorial cause it needs to be done if it has not yet been done!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Those were both cool reads, but not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe it doesn't exist and i just took tidbits from several different places to do it the way I do it... I dunno. Guess I will start on my first article... If nothing else, I know the person looking for the article will enjoy reading it!

Thanks folks!

its_virgil

I have a couple on my website at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles
Maybe they will help out. A couple of others can be fouund at http://www.penmakersguild.com
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Those were both cool reads, but not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe it doesn't exist and i just took tidbits from several different places to do it the way I do it... I dunno. Guess I will start on my first article... If nothing else, I know the person looking for the article will enjoy reading it!

Thanks folks!

RAdams

Banned
Wow, There are several ways i guess!

I think I read Don's website and used those techniques. I am gonna have to try some of these other styles as well!

I got the first half of my article written, so maybe i will finish it and add it to the knowledge base anyway... Thanks for all the help everyone!

BigguyZ

Personally, I use a set of HF punches that I filed down with a mill's file to basically make metal jam chucks like Don's website shows. That way, I have a whole set of rods to use, and I just chuck them in my Jacob's chuck. Eventually, I'll get a collet chuck for better accuracy. But in the meantime this works well.

bgibb42

Personally, I use a set of HF punches that I filed down with a mill's file to basically make metal jam chucks like Don's website shows. That way, I have a whole set of rods to use, and I just chuck them in my Jacob's chuck. Eventually, I'll get a collet chuck for better accuracy. But in the meantime this works well.

I also use the Harbor Freight punches to make pin chucks. They work well, but I've found the pin MUST be flush with the punch for this system to work accurately. Too high, and it distorts the tube, which could lead to blown up blanks, or out of round pens. Too low, and the chuck doesn't grip very well.

I just read the instructions on Don's site, and I'm going to try turning a pen using just a standard mandrel this weekend. Just for fun and to learn a new skill.

BigguyZ

I also use the Harbor Freight punches to make pin chucks. They work well, but I've found the pin MUST be flush with the punch for this system to work accurately. Too high, and it distorts the tube, which could lead to blown up blanks, or out of round pens. Too low, and the chuck doesn't grip very well.

I just read the instructions on Don's site, and I'm going to try turning a pen using just a standard mandrel this weekend. Just for fun and to learn a new skill.

I don't actually use them as pin chucks. basically, they're a jam chuck. The punches are filed with a very thin taper, which allows the chuck to snug up to the tube enough to be able to turn the barrel. Pretty quick and simple to make, I've found, and I've had no issues with OOR or blowouts.

RAdams

Banned
I think it is 6 of one and half a dozen of another really. Like they say "Whatever works".

There are several ways to do it. The sweet thing about using the mandrel is that you don't need any special tools. Just a adjustable mandrel, bushings, and a live center. Oh yeah, and some blue masking tape!

jskeen

Here's a quick thought to help you get rid of that blue tape, if you want to. I first drill all my closed end drill blanks with a #1 drill bit, to the depth of the tube +about a half inch, or to the depth that will accommodate a full size fp converter, whichever is longer. Then I drill the hole for the tube, paint, glue in tube and square as usual. When ready to turn, simply insert the bushing in the end, slide onto the mandrel till the threaded end hits the "neck" at the end of the tube where the hole narrows down to just slightly less than the diameter of the threads for the nut on the end of the mandrel. Now Hold the mandrel still and gently twist the blank clockwise till you feel the threads get a good grip. Don't get too carried away, especially with resin blanks. Now slide the mandrel in till the bushing is held in tight (use a couple of slim bushings in front of it to space it out a little from the chuck if you want). Bring up the live center for support and eliminate whip while turning. Turn to size and part off the closed end where you want it. Now back off the tailstock and the threads on the end of the mandrel will hold the blank in place while you shape and polish the closed end with no tape!

Another note, if you don't use bushings, or just don't have one for a particular pen, you can just slide the the sleeve you use over the shaft of your blank trimmer into the blank to center it, and use calipers to turn the open end to size.

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
That is pretty much exactly how i do it, only i use a 15/64 drill bit instead of a #1 (whatever that is)

I use the blue tape because it doesnt hurt anything, and is a nice security blanket for myself. The tape just keeps me from spinning the threads out is all.

Rick_G

For my closed end slims I use a regular mandrel. On some of the ones I have there is a flat spot near one end for tightening in the arbor with a wrench. I use it with the adjustable arbor or a collet chuck. A small piece of wire (I use a piece cut from jewelry findings I get at the dollar store) set into this flat spot makes a good jam chuck out of it. Also you can pick up a set of transfer punches $12 - $15 and make a jam chuck for just about any pen by grinding a flat on the end of the punch.

jskeen

Wow, it has been a long time since I looked at that page on Russ's website. Funny how what goes around comes around. I remember looking at that exact page and thinking "geez, that's some cool stuff, how does he do that?" And there I was explaining pretty much the same thing from scratch like there was not already a much more detailed explanation right there.

Nothing truly new under the sun, be it closed end slims or watch part castings, or circuit board kits. Funny how that works.

Top Bottom