Closed End Trustone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

I've searched around here, and I can't find any pictures of mention of anyone that has done a closed end pen out of trustone.

I'm sure that it's been done, so I have a question...

Trustone can be a little chippy and brittle. Should this pose any real issue with a closed end pen which will not have any hardware on the ends to protect it?

Just curious before get started on this design idea.

Especially since this design will require two blanks, due to the bottom barrel being longer. It'll be a little costly with two blanks to make one pen.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

You could buy longer tubes to support the open section of the closed end. And also use a live center when cutting the black down to round.

Tanner

Here is one I did. It's a Bloody Basin Jasper Tru-Stone. It seemed to turn like any other blank. I do keep my skew very sharp, so I'm sure that is a big factor. It was just one blank.

200784162924_Baron%20Copper%20Tru%20Stone.jpg
<br />

gerryr

Two blanks? Why would it require 2? I've done a couple of closed end Tru Stone pens, a Baron and 2 Jr. Statesman and only used one blank for each. I had no trouble turning any of them and have never experienced the chipping you mention nor do I think this stuff is brittle.

bgray

The pens that I'm doing lately are longer, and require a 6" blank.

Good to hear that the brittleness is not a real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom