closed end rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

I can figure that a closed end fountain pen is self explanatory, you don't need to worry about tension on the ink well. BUT... how do you solve the spring placement in the closed end rollerball? the only thing I can think of is using a smaller drill bit to finish off the drilling of the blank, and drilling it about 3/8" or so after the tube. Is this accurate, or is there some easy secret to this that I am unaware of?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Dave,
As long as the spring is big enough that it will not turn sideways in the tube it is not a problem. None of the kits the I use to make closed end pens have had an issue with the spring. Hope I understood your question correctly.

wayneis

Drill it out to the correct depth with a 1/4" bit then redrill with the bit that matches the tube. The 1/4" hole holds the spring, if needed or wanted you could put a drop or two of ca glue of the spring so it won't fall out of the hole when a customer replaces the refill.

wayne

ldimick

Jim, who made the pin chucks for the Baron wrote it up somewhere around here. IIR he used a .25" and went 2-13/16 total depth. Then drilled the bigger tube (25/64???) The .25 makes a nice pilot hole.

Fangar

That is correct for the Barons. Except I drill on the lathe and drill the bigger hole first. Then the 1/4" the rest of the way.

pinchuck1.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom