Closed end pens, whats required to make them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

I want to have a go at 'closed end' Barons and Jr Gents and would appreciate any help/tips etc.
I've serached the library without success so apologies if I've missed something.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that I can refer to?

Is there some commercially available or easy to make, adjustable, gizmo that I can get to hold the tube/pen in my chuck while I turn the closed end. I assume thats the way its done.
Maybe a member has such a thing for sale?

Finally,is there such a thing as a chart that shows examples of closed end pens shapes?

Any assistance will be most welcome.
regards, Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bill,

A pin chuck is needed. I bought the set in the following link from member Fanger. You can make your own pin chuck as some members do. Also, check out the pin chuck set up at Arizona Silhouette. They do not ship internationally, but if you want something from AS, let me know and I wll buy it and reship it for you at cost.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18403

I hope this helps,

YoYoSpin

Here's the original DVD how-to :)
ASCoverArt.jpg

Narwhale

Talbot,
You can buy closed-end mandrels, or spend some time and imagination and make your own. My first closed end pens were made using wooden jamb chucks and this is fine for a limited number (say under a dozen.) Then, one can make their own closed-end mandrels very easily and a $1 or so using steel rod and a file, or even go with an o-ring mandril/chuck.
Be forwarned the bought mandrels are only good for one pen size while the knowledge one gains making my own mandrel can be used over and over again to make them in all different sizes.
Suggest a search on this site and lots of reading and thinking...
Rich S.

talbot

Thank you all for the help with this, some excellent tutorials have now been printed and i'll read in detail later.
I'll have a go at some wooden ones Rich, they're shown in Don's tutorial
I think I've got some of those anchor bolts Don and will try them for fit but I think I'll also take William up on his offer to order one from AS, maybe even Ed's DVD(I'll PM you in a short while if that's OK William)
Again to all for the replies, thank you very much, closed end pens don't seem so daunting now.
regards, Bill

Top Bottom