Closed End Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Hi Everybody!

Well, to fill the hole in my life left by no more Ugly Pen Contest ([:p][:p][:p]), my Wife and I drove over to Boise Idaho this weekend, and I taught an Advanced Penturning class at the Woodcraft there.

One of the projects we worked on was a closed-end Navigator (Baron) rollerball. I have taught this particular modification in my class before, but I wanted to try something different this time.

I was talking to Bill Baumbeck on the phone, because I was fishing for a special blank (more about this later), and he mentioned the new video by Ed Davidson on Closed-End Pens. Here's the link to the website:

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Additional%20Pen%20Turning%20Video's.htm

Ed is an old friend, and I truly respect his work and his turning ability. So I ordered up this video, along with the closed-end mandrel for the Baron cap end (I already had the mandrel for the lower barrel).

I'm not here to write a full review of this video, but let me say that Ed guides you through all the steps necessary to make your own closed-end pen. In the video, Ed uses a method of drilling and gluing for the Baron pen that has you drilling a hole much deeper than the brass tube for that blank. Ed orders long brass tubes and cuts off enough to extend all the way to the bottom of the deeper hole, but he explains that you can also just use a second brass tube, and glue it in right behind the first tube.

I thought this sounded like a more straight-forward way to do a closed end, so I used Ed's method of gluing up the blanks for all of our class projects. They turned out beautifully! One of the people taking my class is the turner who teaches most of the penturning classes at that store. So they wanted me to come up with a special challenge for him. I had him do a double-closed-end pen, and the blank I used was a fabulous cross-cut Zebrawood from Bill Baumbeck. Even stabilized, this cross-cut wood is still very chippy, requiring a touch of finesse to turn. The pen turned out great, and I think I made a new friend!

Anyway, I would like to recommend the Closed-End Pen video by Ed Davidson as a great resource! Buy it, try it, and pass the word on!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Scott,

I am teaching a very similar advanced pen class this coming weekend at Lee Valley in Burlington Ont. I also got a copy of Ed's DVD and I highly recommend it as well....Well Done Ed!!

[:D][:D][:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Does Ed show how to install a recessed clip in the closed cap??

The reason I ask is that I am putting a video together on the same topic. Even if the answer is "No", I am wasting my time on this one if the only thing I have to offer is installing the recessed clip.

DocStram

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Does Ed show how to install a recessed clip in the closed cap??

The reason I ask is that I am putting a video together on the same topic. Even if the answer is "No", I am wasting my time on this one if the only thing I have to offer is installing the recessed clip.

I purchased Ed's video from BB. It arrived earlier this week. I watched the video a couple of times and today ... turned my first closed end Baron. It turned out great. Pictures coming soon.

Russ ... the video does not cover recessed clips. But, please don't drop the idea of making a video. I posted last week and asked for directions on doing a recessed clip. But, I really need a video to get the full scope of what's involved. I'm hoping that you work on this project!!

glm1157

Russ,

The video is great as are the closed end mandrels. Ed does not show how to do a recessed clip. I'd love to see a video or writeup on how you do a recessed clip, especially on a Baron.

Thanks,

Gary Manning
Sacramento, California

DocStram

Originally posted by glm1157
<br />

Russ,

The video is great as are the closed end mandrels. Ed does not show how to do a recessed clip. I'd love to see a video or writeup on how you do a recessed clip, especially on a Baron.

Thanks,

Gary Manning
Sacramento, California

There ya go, Russ!!! Gary and I can't be wrong! A Russ Fairfield video on Baron recessed clips. Reading how to do it is one thing ... but watching one of your videos is a whole lot more helpful.

olsenla

I also have Ed's DVD on closed end pens and I very highly recommend it. My interest was piqued (sp) by Ed's videos that are loaded in the library above. I'm such a fan that as soon as I saw his DVD being offered on turning Yoyos, I ordered that as well. I figured I could learn more on lathe technique and implement it on pens and other turnings. That being said, I would love to see a video from Russ on the installation of recessed clips. I have Russ's video on Pen Finishing and I have gained a lot of valuable information from it. I have also referenced Russ's website and it is very informative---but the videos are easier for me to learn from. Besides I can view them over and over till I learn something.

JMHO,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom