Closed end pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

http://www.penturners.org/content/SolidBodyEuroFP.pdf

This is a good article. I personally do not use this method, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Personally I use an adjustable pen mandrel and modifed the end of one of my mandrel shaft with a file to where it has 4 points at the end (looks kind of like a small stub center. Then if the kit is not a 7MM I turn sleave for the mandrel to the inside diameter of the tube I am useing (you can use same tube for pen mill). Make the sleave short enogh so that you can still thread your bushing on the end. throw a couple spacers (slim line bushings) your kit bushing, the sleave and then the blank on the mandrel. Adjust the mandrel to just a little longer that all the part and bring your tail stock up tight. The preasure from the tail stock pressing against the modified mandrel end turn the blank.

Also look at Russ Fairfields long line instructions for yet another method.

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html

its_virgil

Use a pin chuck to hold the tubed blanks. Maybe Anthony has his made and can chime in on this. Rich K. also uses a pin chuck to make his closed end pens. One is on my list to make.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

vick

Originally posted by coach
<br />Do the Nova pin jaws get small enough to fit inside the tubes? I might have to get in on the bulk buy if they do.

No they are way to big. I think most people hold their pins in a collet chuck. As far as I know the Pins I.E. mandrel they usually make on a metal lathe. But I have neither and would defer to others.

Here is an article though obviously this one is two big for pens.

http://home.pacbell.net/latheart/Pin%20Chuck/pin%20chuck.htm

I know I read some thing that Richard Klienhertz wrote about them some where but I can not find it.

Edited in ============
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/kleinhenzrgal7.htm
he has a picture of his pin chucks on this page.
=======================

Deere41h

You can also make a good jam chuck out of a wood dowl. And it can be any diameter and length you wish to make it. It can even be hardened by adding a thin coat of CA. It can be held in a Jacobs chuck.

its_virgil

I use the method explained by Russ earlier in the thread. I have seen the pin chuck used and it is really nifty. And yes, the wooden dowel works fine also. Russ's method just requires a shim to fit the mandrel sized to slide inside the brass tube, but the pin chuck method requires a pin chuck for each diameter of brass tube...IOW, a pin chuck for each kit that can be made into a closed end pen..
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PS John...I hope to have a pin chuck made and used to do a closed end pen before SWAT. We can swap ideas....and ssshhhh...maybe even an article.[:D][}:)]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm a happy pin chuck user. Yes, one per tube size, but so what? They don't go bad. If you don't want to make your own, contact Lamar Sherrill (SWOODWRKNG@aol.com) - he makes them pretty inexpensively (no, I am in no way associated with him other than a happy customer of his tool rest system - did not try to get pin chucks made because I find it quite easy to make them myself)

I like the added stability of a thick steel rod. Maybe when you're an expert turner this doesn't matter [:)] but it sure makes it easier to turn out a passable pen, I find

Look for an article in an upcoming issue of Woodturning Design.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by vick
<br />Am I right in thinking you need a metal lathe to make them?
Not really. Although that's what I use since I have one. Just to prove that you don't need one I recently used a file and elbow grease. A little more work, but it sure can be done. You can also use a grinder, though I would probably finish up wth a file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom