Closed end pen techniques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Our club will be discussing closed end pens next week. I know a few techniques such as step drilling to keep the tube from going down too far and that there are a bunch of commercial and home made mandrels but wondered if any one has a special trick, technique or mandrel idea they would like to share. Also if any one has a dimensional drilling chart for some of the popular kits, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

Bruce: I'll start. It's not a special trick, but I hold the barrel with a pin chuck. I make them using the transfer punches available all over. The pin chucks are easy to make, expensive, and they don't take away from any of the other uses for transfer punches.

Jim Burr

Banned
Just for fun...I went the easy route. Ordered mandrels from AS. DVD came with it from Yo-Yo that demystified everything. AS sends a great spec sheet that breaks it down with drawings and dimentions so even bozo like me with no imagination whatsoever can make a perfect closed end!

Joe S.

Just for fun...I went the easy route. Ordered mandrels from AS. DVD came with it from Yo-Yo that demystified everything. AS sends a great spec sheet that breaks it down with drawings and dimentions so even bozo like me with no imagination whatsoever can make a perfect closed end!

What is AS? Been thinking about this for a while, I might order some if it's not too expensive.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bruce, here's a little thing I do when making a cap and closed ended pen from the same blank. ( sometimes they are ONLY JUST long enough )
I most often glue on a sacrificial piece of material to the closed end of the body which allows me to centre drill it so that it is supported by the tailstock during turning. Once the body has been turned I simply cut off the piece and finish off the body.

I also sometimes use this method without one of my CE mandrels, but only use a pin punch. When I cut off the sacrificial piece, I use plastic electrical tap to secure it to the pin punch while I shape the end.:wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bruce,
I gave a demo at the Midwest Pen Gathering on closed end pens. Also had a pictorial-tutorial that was handed out.

You are welcome to it, as is anyone else who wants it--just PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

(Bruce, I have your email---so I will send it---but I thought there might be others who would like it, as well)

its_virgil

Bruce,
You've been directed to the articles on my site. Use the info however you want. I can send a powerpoint if you can use it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

Last edited:

sbell111

Another vote for the AS mandrels. They turned making closed end pens from a scary improbability to a super easy task. They are now almost easier to make than making the pen the normal 'open' end way.

Top Bottom