closed end pen spinning on the mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes pens

Anyone have a tip or two on how to keep a closed end pen blank from stop spinning on the mandrel while turning.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

grind a flat on a stock of metal the size of the inside of the pen tube, and use a finishing nail to hold it.

I use my dull drill bits for the holders. Just mount them in a chuck or drill chuck

vick

If I understand right and you are using a regular 7mm mandrel.
Modify the mandrel by fileing an x in the threaded end so that it comes to 4 points like a mini spur center. Then apply preasure with the tailstock.

If you are not talking about a regular mandrel please elaborate.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Buy a pin chuck from Fanger. If you plan to do many closed end pens, it will pay for itself. If you are doing a 7mm pen, refer to Russ Fairfield's site, he has excellent directions for modifying an old mandrel to make closed end pens.

dfurlano

I just use a scrap blank and turn it down to lightly press fit the tube you are using. As long as you leave the blank in the chuck it will remain true.

mikes pens

Thanks so far for the information. It is a regular mandrel. The pen kits are the pocket pens from CS. I bought the mandrel suggested to go with the kits and it just doesn't do the job.

Mike

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
See my website under the "Long-Line" pen for some instructions to an alternative to a pin-chuck. That applies to the 7mm mandrel, but will also work with larger tubes if a filler piece is made to support the inside end of the mandrel. The open end is supported by the turning bushing. There is a lot of detail on this on my video, Advanced Pencrafting, for both the Long-Line and a closed end Ameroclassic.

Both the video and the website are being revised to show how to do this with a closed-end Baron.

Buying a pin-chuck from Fangar will also solve the problem, and there is an article floating through the forums by Rick Kleinhenz showing how to make your own pin-chuck.

Tea Clipper

I took the low-tech approach and wrapped a piece of masking tape around the mandrel. I think that a single layer was all that was needed to snug up the blank. I used the tailstock for support during the major cutting phase and parted that end off like the directions say. Here's a link to some baseball bat pens I made from pocket pens.

gerryr

I made one of those Pocket Pens for a friend and had the same issue. If you just make really light cuts with a very sharp skew you won't have problems. I did keep the tailstock fairly tight and that helped quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom