Closed End Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

I have been reading everything I can about closed end pens. I have not read where anyone has used the mandrel from woodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001608/10989/Professional-Pen-Turning-Mandrel-2-MT.aspx#Reviews. I have been on Don Ward's website and see something similar that he uses something he has made maybe. http://www.redriverpens.com/pdf files/Closed end pens part 2.pdf. I am just trying to be as frugal as possible with what little money I have to spend.

Thanks for any input y'all are willing to share on this.

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

Phil,
Lots of info on site about closed ends. I did my first couple with transfer punches and dental rubber bands....did the job....certainly fit the $$$ side of it. bought a set of closed end mandrels for my most common tube sizes and life is so much better! I bought Bill's (Arizona Silhouette) and am very happy with them. Plenty of cheaper options, but the ones made to fit specific tube sizes sure do make things easier. If you maintain a limited number of pen types that you consistently use, buy the proper ones.... if you need a bunch of different ones and don't want to lay out the (admittedly painful) cash, you are probably better off improvising using one of the methods others have (very sucessfully) used.

firewhatfire

can the Baron one do the Cigar? 25/64 and 10 mm are really close together.

Phil,
Lots of info on site about closed ends. I did my first couple with transfer punches and dental rubber bands....did the job....certainly fit the $$$ side of it. bought a set of closed end mandrels for my most common tube sizes and life is so much better! I bought Bill's (Arizona Silhouette) and am very happy with them. Plenty of cheaper options, but the ones made to fit specific tube sizes sure do make things easier. If you maintain a limited number of pen types that you consistently use, buy the proper ones.... if you need a bunch of different ones and don't want to lay out the (admittedly painful) cash, you are probably better off improvising using one of the methods others have (very sucessfully) used.

hewunch

the woodcraft does not allow you to do closed- end-

That is exactly what Don is using in that article. So yes, it can. He just used a beall collet chuck, not the standard collet chuck used with the WC mandrill. It will work. I have done it. I like my pin chuck better, but it is doable.

clapiana

that woodcraft link above is the wrong link. here is the wood craft collect chuck (link) i use this PSI collect chuck (link) which i really like to make 'closed end' handles for my chefware items

Last edited:

hewunch

that woodcraft link above is the wrong link. here is the wood craft collect chuck (link) i use this PSI collect chuck (link) which i really like to make 'closed end' handles for my chefware items

We are mixing metaphors here. The OP is not talking about a Beall or PSI or any other sort of collet system. He is talking about an adjustable mandril. And while I find it easier to use a collet chuck for closed ended pens, you CAN make a closed in pen with an adjustable mandril. Don demonstrates this in the a fore mentioned link.

w5brw

I found an easy way to do the closed-end on the Jr. Gents. I use a mandrel with a drill chuck to hold it, and use a spacer from the tip of the chuck to the first bushing then add the squaring tool sleeve to the end of the mandrel (it should catch on the threads and hold tight enough to do the job. It is long enough to still be in the brass tube when you put your blank on and pushed up against the front bushing. use the tail stock to keep the whole thing straight.

I'm working on a doc for the library, just haven't had time to finish it yet. Hopefully this is clear enough.

One really good thing using this method, If you already have the squaring sleeve for the pen then you have the right size mandrel...

Rick_G

I made pin chucks using my transfer punch set. Some were a perfect fit and others I sanded to a perfect fit. You can get a couple transfer punch set a lot cheaper than buying dedicated closed end mandrels for each type you want to make.

firewhatfire

Thanks for all the replies. I think the idea of closed end has been harder to grasp the the first day of pen turning.

Heaven help this place when I get ready to do my first kitless and thread my own stuff. It will like this all over again or worse. Lots of ????????

its_virgil

A collet chuck is not needed but I use one to hold all of my mandrels. Any adjustable mandrel will work. Even a non adjustable one will work but spacers will be needed between the end of the mandrel (next to the arbor at the headstock end)and the bushing in the end of the pen blank. The process is just much easier with an adjustable mandrel.

Pin chuucks are another easy way to go if the correct size stock is available or if access to a metal lathe is available. The transfer punch set from Harbor Freight is a good way to get the correct size needed.

Here is another excellent closed end pen mandrel idea: http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/pinchuck.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom