Closed end mandrels.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I was looking at buying 1 or 2 of the closed end mandrels from Arizona Silhouette. I see that they have one for the "7mm European pen" I emailed them and asked them if that would work with a regular slimline pen, but never got a reply. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Thanks!
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

the one I have will hold slimline and such -- the bushings that Bill sells for the Euro will not be correct for the slimline, and calipers always work. Never tried a slimline bushing, but suspect it will adapt.

I got the mandrel for turning dip pens, and have not gone beyond that use.

BigguyZ

Not to take away from AS's sales, but you can make your own mandrel very easily. I bought an extra set of HF punches, and now have stock for many many mandrels. All you do is chuck up the punch that's just a bit too big for the tube to slip over and while the lathe's on, use a file to bring the diameter down to a slip fit of the tue over the punch.

From there you can either make a pin chuck, an O-ring chuck, or I've found that the slight taper on the end that you'll get will get you a press fit without any slop in the tube. Basically it's an inverted jam chuck. Haven't used it yet- but I have some plans to do so really soon!

workinforwood

I have several of the AZ closed end mandrels. They work good. Far as a slim goes..is there even such a thing as the right OD size? If you want to turn it to the ring, use some calipers. Otherwise, toss the ring in the trash, drill the upper blank a 1/4 extra deep past the tube and spin it to any size you want.

its_virgil

You don't need extra tooling to make closed end pens,although they are really nice and the answer to your question is yes, the 7mm will work on slimlines and any other pen that uses the 7mm tube.

Take a look at the closed end pen articles on my website at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was looking at buying 1 or 2 of the closed end mandrels from Arizona Silhouette. I see that they have one for the "7mm European pen" I emailed them and asked them if that would work with a regular slimline pen, but never got a reply. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Thanks!
Derek

Top Bottom