Closed end mandrel problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BruceK

I just got a closed end mandrel for the Jr. Gent/Statesman II from Arizona Silhoutte. I put a blank on the mandrel and turned it with no problems. For finishing I wanted to do a CA finish so I decided to take it off the mandrel, remove the bushing and put some wax on the mandrel so the CA would not stick. Now the problem...the mandrel will not tighen up anymore. Not on the blank I turned, not on even on a new tube. The screw in the mandrel will just spin freely when you use the wrenches to tighten it up. If you put a phillips head screwdriver on the screw head and use the wrenches it tightens up OK but this isn't gonna work when you have the tube enclosed with wood. I didn't look at the mandrel very closely when I got it so I'm wondering if the screw head is smooth or if it came with some sort of protuberance that fits in the slots that are cut into the mandrel body. That's all I can think of as for why it doesn't tighten up. Anyone have some ideas on what's going on here?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipeyeti

Friction is what holds the screw head from turning while you tighten it. When you put wax on the mandrel you must have gotten some on the head of the screw. Take it apart and clean it with alcohol and reassymble it. I'll bet it works.:)

Reb

Hi
I just had the same problem today. Take the screw out and OPEN the end with the cut slot. Use a flat headed screwdriver.The end is not going over the bolt head.
Randy

pipeyeti

Friction is what holds the screw head from turning while you tighten it. When you put wax on the mandrel you must have gotten some on the head of the screw causing it to slip. Take it apart and clean it with alcohol and reassymble it. I'll bet it works.:)

stevers

I just received mine also. Used it for the first time this afternoon. It worked OK. Although I had a similar problem with my first Euro mandrel. I had to try to tighten it up "just" enough to hold the screw yet not so much that it wouldn't fit into the tube. There seemed to be a balance there that could be reached. Then insert the mandrel and carefully tighten it up. If you haven't figured it out yet, maybe give it a try.
Other than that, my first closed end Jr. Gent was a "complete failure". :( Never got the finish right. Didn't get the fit right for the lower tube and refill thing. Arrrrgggg. At least I got a couple of others out this weekend.
Good luck and let me know what you come up with.

BruceK

I did ask Bill as AS but really didn't get much help. I just found a solution that seems to work.:) I replaced the metal washer on the screw with an O ring. (I then tried other items made of rubber which also seem to work) This gives enough compression to tighten things up. For whatever reason with the metal washer on there was no room for the screw to be withdrawn further into the nut, hence the spinning of the screw and no tightening. I want to thank all that replied, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom