Closed-End Mandrel + Buckeye Burl void + CA = OOOPS!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

So I was turning a piece of stabilized Buckeye Burl, and part way through, I came across a nice airy void. I didn't think the void went all the way through, and of course it had to be right about where the tube ended in the dead end hole, so when all was said and done, the pen was rather fond of the mandrel and was not too keen on on being asked to part ways... Took about 15 minutes of twisting and wiggling and eventually unthreading off the entire insert, then more wiggling and twisting to get the insert out, and now the whole shooting match is getting a good acetone bath to remove the residual CA (well not the pen, it's pretty much fine, I'll probably just be sure to ream out the inside a bit when its all done...) Lesson learned = don't fill voids near the ends while attached to the closed end mandrels....

DurocShark

I've done that a few times with un-tubed blanks. I generally don't notice it until I'm completely done, CA finish is perfect, and I'm ready to take it off...

wb7whi

I was cutting a slot in a closed end tube to insert a modified clip with a dremel. It was going harder than I expected until I realized I hadn't removed the blank from the mandril before I started.

Went half way through that mandril.

Top Bottom