closed end mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

Since I've been infected with the turning bug, I've always wanted to try new stuff. It has been a cool ride and a great stress reliever listening to oldies and playing with my 3 lathes. However, I have been admiring the closed end pens and have been lurking in the backround to get some idea of where to get a mandrel to start with.
I've tried the search key above to no avail. Can someone give me a link or suggestions on how to start up. Thanks in advance. Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Be sure you have a good 1/2" Jacob's(drill) chuck. Or alternatively, I actually use the Beall Collett chuck.

You can also make a mandrel out of a stick of brass or aluminum if you have it. Just mount it in a collet chuck and turn down around 2.5" of the material so that it just *barely* fits into the tube, should require a touch of force to get it on there, it has to hold it still while you are cutting. (if you turn this tenon too small, you can beef it up by putting a few coats of CA finish on the metal tenon, hosing the CA with accelerator to make sure it's hard cured, which give the blank a nice, snug fit)

There are others who make nice mandrels out of transfer punches from Harbor Freight.

stevers

I just ordered my second from AS. Easy to use, accurate, ready out of the box. And with the 7mm for instance, you can mount diff 7mm bushings and do almost any 7mm pen style.
My second is for the Jr. Gent. Should be here first of next week. AS is also very fast. Ordered last night, shipped today.
I personally feel it's worth it to just pick up a couple for convenience as opposed to making them. Maybe I will make one in the future just for fun. For now, this is my way to go.
My 2 cents.

its_virgil

I have a couple of articles on my website about turning closed end pens and several ways to hold the blank are discussed...you don't need a special mandrel. But, they are nice...and pricey.
Go to: http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by altaciii

Since I've been infected with the turning bug, I've always wanted to try new stuff. It has been a cool ride and a great stress reliever listening to oldies and playing with my 3 lathes. However, I have been admiring the closed end pens and have been lurking in the backround to get some idea of where to get a mandrel to start with.
I've tried the search key above to no avail. Can someone give me a link or suggestions on how to start up. Thanks in advance. Alex

altaciii

Ah Ha! Eureka! And all that stuff! Don, your short articles were a big help in turning on the light bulb above my head. I knew there was something missing besides the mandrel. Like the guy at woodcraft told me when I first got started "the lathe is least of your expenses" Looks like my habit is about to cost me some more. Need to sell more pens now. Thanks, Alex

its_virgil

alex,
You're welcome and I do hope you found something there that you can use. We are looking forward to seeing that first closed end pen posted here.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by altaciii

Ah Ha! Eureka! And all that stuff! Don, your short articles were a big help in turning on the light bulb above my head. I knew there was something missing besides the mandrel. Like the guy at woodcraft told me when I first got started "the lathe is least of your expenses" Looks like my habit is about to cost me some more. Need to sell more pens now. Thanks, Alex

Top Bottom