Closed end mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I made some similar to what Sully mentioned using the ubiquitous Harbor Freight punches and filing a flat spot on the one that fit the pen tubes the best.

Ed McDonnell

If you are sure you will never need to turn in reverse (sometimes reverse can help with sanding challenging grain) and you can tolerate a little lack of concentricity then pin chucks (aka the Craft Supply Closed End Mandrel) are a viable choice.

As Monty pointed out, you can make one yourself if you like making your own tools (or you have more time than money). But for $15 and the amount of time / effort involved in making one by hand (without a mill / metal lathe) I would make a slimline to sell to someone for $20 to pay for a pin chuck. But that's just me.

I prefer the closed end mandrels from Arizona Silhouette. More money, but they meet my needs better. Holds in forward or reverse. Concentricity is very good. They can sometimes be a little fussy to tighten up, but once tight they stay tight.

Ed

mrmartyking

I have had good luck with the ones from Arizona Silhouette. Chuck them up with a collet chuck from Craft Supplies USA. Get the apprentice chuck. It is a good one and half the price of the other name brand one that they carry.

Top Bottom