Closed-end drilling technique...suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Halfcaff just posted a beautiful closed end pen, describing his technique. I plan to use this mandrel technique very soon for my first a closed end pen, but am concerned that after drilling for the mandrel, the second bore for the tube may not be EXACTLY concentric. So my thought was to drill for the tube first, then use a fabricated insert to help guide the bit for drilling the area for the mandrel threads. Having not done any of this before, I would welcome comments on this modified approach to the same end...closed, that is:biggrin:

aggromere

Not exactly sure about the mandrell technique. I use closed end mandrels for the pens i make. I would guess that if you drill the smaller hole first it would automatically cause the bigger bit to follow that hole, thus the two would be in alignment.

its_virgil

Drilling on the lathe is the most accurate. I've drilled the large hole first then the smaller one and I;ve also drilled the smaller one first then the larger one. It doesn't seem to matter which way it's done. Practice on some waste pieces first.

If drilling on a drill press just be sure the vice holding the blank does not move...at all... Drill one hole, change the bit and drill the other one.
Read the two closed end articles on my website and you may find some help: http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Halfcaff just posted a beautiful closed end pen, describing his technique. I plan to use this mandrel technique very soon for my first a closed end pen, but am concerned that after drilling for the mandrel, the second bore for the tube may not be EXACTLY concentric. So my thought was to drill for the tube first, then use a fabricated insert to help guide the bit for drilling the area for the mandrel threads. Having not done any of this before, I would welcome comments on this modified approach to the same end...closed, that is:biggrin:

SteveG

Thanks for the inputs. I forgot to mention the basis for the drilling technique started with the 2010 Library tutorial by RAdams. I will drill on the lathe, and will experiment on a less critical blank before going for the extreme HRB for a customer order. Any additional comments are sure welcome!

Steve

Top Bottom