Closed End Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I turned my first closed end pen last week. It's an emerald green PR (from Exotic Blanks -- love it!) on a Jr. Gent kit. The writing end rolled off my desk and the PR cracked in several places. I want to take it apart and replace the barrel, but I don't want to screw it up. Any tips?

Similar question, but for a different pen -- what is the best way to disassemble the center band assembly from a Jr. Gent kit? I tried knocking one out with a transfer punch and mauled it pretty badly.

Thanks.

hewunch

There are a couple of ways to disassemble a Jr.'s center band. Either way you need to take the black plastic part out. Now you could chuck it in a collet chuck like a Beall or PSI. A couple of wraps of painters tape and you are right at 1/2". Then use your parting tool to get rid of the band that is towards the metal part that goes up into the cap (closest to the material of the cap not closest to the nib). Once you have that parted off, the other ring will slide off easily. (BTW, this is the way I shave the CB on the Retro).

The other option is to take a block of wood and drill it out for a little larger than the cb and put some acrylic over it that is the size of the smaller part of the CB but not as large as the ring. Then bang it through. I think there is a tutorial on that. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35571&highlight=centerband+removal

Texatdurango

I used a tap which was close to what the inner threads of the mating metal part, threaded the tap in, cocked it slightly at an angle then gently pulled the metal nib holder off.

The inner threads weren't damaged and was reusable on another pen.

Top Bottom