Closed end cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chay

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area,but it seemed to make sense. I tried to search for info this morning on closed ended cigar pens and didn't really come up with anything useful.
Have any of you created such a pen,and could you possibly post pic's and instructions.
Thanks for your help.
Erich:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I haven't noticed any posts of closed end cigar pens. I suppose the clip assembly could be omitted and the top turned closed end. Using a pin chuck or one of the other methods of holding the blank should work. Do yo know how to do closed end pens using a pin chuck or an alternate method. If not, I can post a sketch of how to hold the blank for closed end pens that does not require the purchase of a pin chuce: just use your normal mandrel. It works great for me..and others.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by chay
<br />I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area,but it seemed to make sense. I tried to search for info this morning on closed ended cigar pens and didn't really come up with anything useful.
Have any of you created such a pen,and could you possibly post pic's and instructions.
Thanks for your help.
Erich[:)]

its_virgil

Here's the sketch...let me know if more help is needed.

2006870938_sans%20pin%20chuck.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

<br />
Originally posted by guts
<br />Don.please do, for those of us that have no idea on how to do it without the pen chuck,thanks.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I haven't noticed any posts of closed end cigar pens. I suppose the clip assembly could be omitted and the top turned closed end.

You have an obstacle to overcome to make a closed end cigar.
If you look at the attached picture you will see the transmission and the third tube that contains the stud that the finial screws on to in order to capture the clip between the finial and the upper blank. You will need to find a way to press that in after the part is turned or else find a way to keep the upper blank from flopping around while it is being turned. I have successfully done one but my pictures were wiped out in a computer crash and the pen has long since been sold. It’s not impossible, just experiment and use some imagination.

2006872483_cigar%20002.jpg

I’ll drop a little hint……….My pen did not use the upper tube, and even though it was made from a cigar kit it did not look much like a cigar pen when I was finished.

&lt;edited to remove double words&gt;

chay

Thank you for the info. No,Don, I don't have a pin chuck, so the mandrel idea is great Mudder, thanks for the heads up on the second tube, I kinda forgot about the need for that,Thanks.

Thank you both!!
Erich

tnilmerl

As I see it, you can't press the finial tube in from the center of the tube out to the end because you would ream the entire tube with the thickness of the finial pressure assembly. Then your center ring assembly wouldn't fit when you attempt to press it in.

What you might try is predriling a small recess inside the tube to hold the threaded end of your finial tube. You would need to grind the end of the final so that it would freely fit inside the 10mm tube and then attempt to epoxy the threaded portion of the finial tube into the pre-drilled recess. This would lead to a concern over the longevity and durability of the epoxy finial tube. Over time, would it stand up to the normal wear and tear of pen usage?

Have you considered turning an entire new finial cap out of the same material as the pen? I know the break in the pen's exterior is what you are wanting to overcome and avoid, but the cigar pen may not be the best kit to utilize for a closed end cap. You may have to design an alternative transmission engagement mechanism.

Now, with those caveats said, you can accomplish what you want by cutting off the end of the final tube from the threaded and pressure fit portion of the finial tube assembly. Then drill your blank about a 1/4 to 1/3 to accommodate the 10mm tube (or to a depth sufficient to accommodate your pin chuck). Then drill out another hole down to the final depth with a bit corresponding to the final tube outside diameter. Don't know that off the top of my head, but I'm think it is either a 7mm or 'O'. Pull out a micrometer and check it (I'll do that tonight and check). Then epoxy the 10mm tube in. I would wait and glue the finial tube in after turning with pen chuck (voice of experience there). The challenge is getting the depth correct. Too shallow and the pin chuck won't work. To deep and you have to material to glue the finial tube into. Remember that the finial tube is now shorter than originally designed, so take the finial cutoff into account. If you have another tube with the same interior diameter as the finial tube, then this is a cakewalk and you only have to worry about the finial tube being too long.

After turning, you'll need to glue the finial tube in and get the correct depth. Not too tricky, just test and set everything before gluing. A waxed wooden dowel helps with the insertion.

I would practice this a few times on my scrap blanks before attempt with my final blank.

post pics when you get it right

Darley

G'day Chay, I did a closed end cigar when I brought the pin chuck from Fangar ( I think ! ), Don give you a good drawing for the how to do it, BTW Don send me the corn cob.

20068911924_Oak%20burl%20Barron%20closed%20end.jpg
<br />

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
One bit of information to add to your arsenal.
The top portion of the cigar transmission will friction fit in an 8 mm tube.
I have made a "long wood" cigar and don't see why it could not be adapted to a closed end cigar.
A look at Bjackmans' article about making the hidden clip with a Perfect Fit would also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom