Closed end assembly question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonSchmitt

How do you protect the closed end of the pen when pressing the parts in? I did not want to scratch up the end, so I drilled a hole in a piece of scrap and set it in there, but now I have a ring around the end where it sat in the hole.
( I hate the learning curve:()

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobaltig

How are pressing the parts together? Do you use a vise, a pen assembly vise, your drill press, or some other method? It would help to know what kind of surface material you think might damage the closed end.

igran7

I use a piece of foam wrapped inside a sock to protect the end when pressing together. I'm sure there are more "hi-tech" methods, but I've turned quite a few closed enders without a problem using this method. Hope this helps.

redfishsc

I use a large vice clamp with wooden jaws. If the pen is wood, then I go further and use a piece of packing foam (the whitish, translucent stuff) as a protectant.

I had a pen a while back that I was afraid was going to be too brittle to clamp together, so I assembled it by pressing the part in my hand as far as I could and then holding the pen with my left hand and bumping the coupler in with a hard-nosed plastic mallet. Worked fine, but too much work to do on all of them!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ron,

Start by replacing the steel plate with a piece of corian.

Then, if still getting marks, drill about a half inch forstner "inset" and put a sponge in it. Use this to support your closed end.

Fringe benefit, drill holes that just fits the collars of the parts you use frequently, will protect your threads (where possible).

badger

I glued some magnet strips to a couple pieces of bamboo (it's what I had, another hardwood would be fine, just not TOO hard). I place them on the jaws of my vice and use the vise as a pen press. Works great, no damage to the pen.

Simple and quick to make, just get the sticky back roll of magnetic tape at the hardware store, and off you go. I just used whatever wood scrap I had lying around.

And cheaper than a pen press. ;)

Sfolivier

I don't press closed end pens anymore. My last attempt 3 days ago resulted in the explosion of a my best cross-cut ebony Jr Gentlemen II. So I'm joining the rank of the people who glue. I'm remaking a similar pen but left some room without a tube near the feed end of the pen. I will CA glue everything in place when I'm done.

In the past, I've never really been happy with pressing closed end pens. It never works well for spalted wood, it mars easily. It's really not worth it. Especially because at the time it can cause a catastrophe you've already invested a lot in the pen.

nava1uni

I either use a Quik Clamp or my pen press, which I have modified by gluing soft leather to both sides of the press. So whatever pen I am assembling no marks are left on any wood or hardward

Rudy Vey

I use my arbor press, but have glued a self-adhesive piece of Polyethylene (can be found at Woodcraft and Rockler to make your fences slicker) on the punch and use a block of wood on the lower end. So far, never had a problem, just be careful and align your parts properly. I believe most damage in pressing parts into barrels happens when the two, part and barrel, are out of alignment.

Top Bottom