closed end advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aurrida

is it possible to turn a closed end on a wilton? would like to learn how to turn one of those lovely ebonite pens i have seen lately. ones that are not solely based on a kit. all i can think of at the moment is a closed end mandrel to fit a lord, i think. would prefer a black plastic section for fountain and if possible a rollerball.

advice and guidance welcome and appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by aurrida

is it possible to turn a closed end on a wilton? would like to learn how to turn one of those lovely ebonite pens i have seen lately. ones that are not solely based on a kit. all i can think of at the moment is a closed end mandrel to fit a lord, i think. would prefer a black plastic section for fountain and if possible a rollerball.

I don't know what a wilton or a lord is but untill someone else comes along that does, I would suggest visiting an excellent website that has instructions for doing lots of things, closed end being one of them.
Visit http://www.yoyospin.com/tutorials/ and watch the #5 video and look at the #1 photo tutorial. These should give you a pretty good idea of how to do a closed end pen and what is required.

stevers

The diff when turning a closed end pen is the mandrel, not the lathe. Just about any lathe, whether a MT style or even a threaded head stock style should work with the proper mandrel.
Check the links above and also look at this for a look at the mandrel some of us use.
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Closed_End_Pen_Mandrel.htm
this is the style I have used and like it so far. Simple to set up and repeatable.

its_virgil

You'll find a couple of articles on closed end pens on my website. One of them addresses several ways to hold the blank for turning a closed end pen...withoug purchasing a dedicated mandrel. You may even find a method of your own: http:www.RedRiverPens.com/articles
Do a good turn daily!
Don

aurrida

thanks all, thanks don, great articles and a lot of work, much appreciated.

do i still need to use an brass insert tube with ebonite?

i want to taper the ends of the pen, can this be done simply without elongating the pen too much?

its_virgil

thanks all, thanks don, great articles and a lot of work, much appreciated.
You're welcome and I hope they help you get the pen made.

do i still need to use an brass insert tube with ebonite?
I do. The tube helps support the blank. I'm sure others don't for some materials.

i want to taper the ends of the pen, can this be done simply without elongating the pen too much?
Practice on some scrap wood to get the shape you want. Don't start the taper too soon or you may get into the hole or tube.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

[/quote]

Top Bottom