Clips Other Than Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JakeAB

While I like the feel of a slimline for my own use, I like the looks of a larger pen better. A larger pen shows off the wood more, which is, at least in my case, the main point of making a pen.

Lately I've been using kits that are essentially slimlines with a larger center band, and I've liked the results. However, I've never seen the point in paying extra (sometimes a lot extra) for basically the same kit, with a slightly larger band.

So, I thought I'd be clever and buy the slimline kits, toss out the center band, and either make my own or make a single-piece pen (or pencil). It was a good move, and the results have been quite nice.

Almost. It turns out that I'm not quite as clever as I like to think. The center band isn't the only thing that needs to be replaced to get a fatter slimline. The clip needs upgrading, too.

The photo below shows a pen (pencil, actually) made with a slimline kit, sans center band (pardon my photography--I'm no better at that than I am at pen turning). It almost works, but the clip is noticeably short at the top, so that it doesn't follow the line of the pen. I may be overly picky, but to me it sort of spoils the effect.

Wrong Clip.jpg

Enough rambling. The question is, Where can I get clips for pens larger than slimlines? I see many vendors that sell clips, but they all seem to be slimline clips. Am I just not looking hard enough? Advice and suggestions would be welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

There are larger clips available but as long as you are using a slimline kit as a base most of them won't work , no way to attach them without making your own way of mounting them to the 7mm tubes . There are a few Euro/Designer clips and finials that fit 7mm tubes . Most of the vendors have these available , just look for "Euro or Designer" . www.woodnwhimsies.com have several of these available . I've been buying my Chrome cigar clips from them . Tim and Tracy are great people to deal with and they have good prices and fast shipping .

PenMan1

By using a euro/designer clip (as Butch suggested) you can turn a fenial out of the same wood as the pen body. This opens up a whole new universe in going away from slimline kits.

fernhills

Hi, i recently did this slim mod with a euro clip and final, this is the way one would look like. Carl

Attachments

• 20100206_1.jpg
    20100206_1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 241

KDM

I may be overly picky, but to me it sort of spoils the effect.

No. You're right. I spoiled a kit turning a fat body for it and then putting a slimline clip on it. I didn't even finish it.

If you want to show off the wood better with a larger profile pen, why not just get some cigar kits?

The price. the ony place I can find to buy them they cost twice as much.

I'm gonna get me a sheet of brass and see what I can knock up. Watch this space. I have some fine brass rods. Might have a go with those, too.

DurocShark

I've done a couple using the slim clips. Takes some doing, but can be made to work.

I've been playing with other clips but just can't seem to get them dialed in the way I would like.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No. You're right. I spoiled a kit turning a fat body for it and then putting a slimline clip on it. I didn't even finish it.

The price. the ony place I can find to buy them they cost twice as much.

I'm gonna get me a sheet of brass and see what I can knock up. Watch this space. I have some fine brass rods. Might have a go with those, too.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=177

Here is a place you can buy the kit for $4! Compare apples to apples, if you are buying 24 kt slims and adding a different clip, you will be darn close to $4, if you are lucky. Custom clips are about $20 a piece (unless, like some of the talented guys, you make your own!!)

Top Bottom