Clips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Got to thinking the other day and sometimes this hurts, but was thinking about the clip used on high end pens. Does everyone use the clip or do alot of you leave it off. :confused:These are pens that are 2 parts., barrel and cap. Are these type pens really carried in shirt pockets or are they just laid on the desk??? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I haven't done one without a clip... I'd prefer a nice pen to NOT roll off the desk.

:biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek::biggrin:

Texatdurango

Got to thinking the other day and sometimes this hurts, but was thinking about the clip used on high end pens. Does everyone use the clip or do alot of you leave it off. :confused:These are pens that are 2 parts., barrel and cap. Are these type pens really carried in shirt pockets or are they just laid on the desk??? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.
Come on John........ quit looking for ways around a clip and start looking into material to make them from! :)

Whether a clip is used or not, 99.9237% of pens have them unless they are designed as a "desk pen" which sits in a holder. The only time I have seen pens without clips is on this forum where someone made a closed end pen and either didn't know how to do a hidden clip or didn't have one to match the pen.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
To clip or not to clip

I have found the following thing...women who carry a pen in their purse amongst all the other stuff don't seem to mind not having a clip. Men, who like myself often wear pocketless T-shirts, and carry their pen in their pants pocket (you know that actually works) don't mind not having a clip. Folks who use their pens as desk pens (they even sell presentation boxes now with a pen holder built in) like pens without clips. In short, there is a market for clipless pens...not a real big market, but a market.

jttheclockman

Come on John........ quit looking for ways around a clip and start looking into material to make them from! :)

Whether a clip is used or not, 99.9237% of pens have them unless they are designed as a "desk pen" which sits in a holder. The only time I have seen pens without clips is on this forum where someone made a closed end pen and either didn't know how to do a hidden clip or didn't have one to match the pen.

Well George, I have my thoughts on things like that. I feel there are so many kits out there and nice kits I might add that there really is no need to change the looks of a pen. Unless you are making a pen from scratch then adding clips or centerbands and or other trinkets is great. But to me to change a look of a pen is to change the blank. Spend the effort in making a terrific looking blank is all that is needed to make a great looking pen and use the kits supplied. Now do not get me wrong and there is many here that read way too much into things I say, but people like Skiprat and others that can work metal have an advantage in that they can design a pen from scratch and that not only takes talent which we have seen they have and tools. I think people look more at the body of the pen as opposed to a clip or one aspect of the pen. Just my thoughts.

I looked at some highend name brand pens and some have clips and some do not. I think the point about a pen rolling without a clip has some merit to it. I guess I will stick with using the clips and if asked will do a custom one without.

:):biggrin::)

Mark

I thought that a clipless pen would be better for me. I took the clips off of several pens that I use regularly. The clip just felt like it was in the way.

I've since put them back on. I find I carry them in my shirt pocket, (clipped) in my pants pocket or clipped to my memo pad. They just kept rolling around my desk, if I didn't clip/carry them with me. I've only had one person (a lady) request a clipless pen. She carries it in a memo pad that has a small pocket that the pen slides into. Just my $.02 worth.

Texatdurango

John, I got to thinking about how I carry my favorite pen around. I carry an emperor around in my pants pocket but I have it in a leather carrying case. After a little thought, I think this would be the perfect way to carry a clipless pen around so if I ever decide to make one, I'll display it in a leather carrying case.

thetalbott4

I looked at some highend name brand pens and some have clips and some do not. I think the point about a pen rolling without a clip has some merit to it. I guess I will stick with using the clips and if asked will do a custom one without.

John- Do you remember the brand/model of any of the highend clipless pens? I'd like to take a look to see what size, style, price, and how they look. I've also been kickin this around as I think there some designs that the clip just "gets in the way of".

jttheclockman

John- Do you remember the brand/model of any of the highend clipless pens? I'd like to take a look to see what size, style, price, and how they look. I've also been kickin this around as I think there some designs that the clip just "gets in the way of".

Scott

I am sorry for I do not remember names. There is a store in a mall that is near me that sells nothing but pens and they have all kinds, brands, and prices. They have pens in there that are priced in the thousands of dollars and frankly they just are not that great looking but some are outstanding. I remember seeing some of these high priced pens with no clips and yes they did come in a fancy box. Some of the fancy named pens or high end pens look like some of the kits that are sold by the big name vendors. It looked like alot of the fountain pens are the ones I remembered that had no clips more so than the rollerballs.

I do not carry a highend pen as a everyday pen, I carry one of my metal braided pens or a computer board pen because they seem to strike up the most conversation and have sold a few this way. I carry mine either in a shirt pocket mostly or in my pants pocket. They are either Sierras or cigars. I want to add some highend pens this year to my inventory which now consists of jr gents and barons as the high end pens. So I was thinking out loud I guess. Thanks all for the inputs.

Top Bottom