Clipless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This is one of those make conversation threads:)

The clipless pen. Let me start this off by saying I am one of those people who do not look at all the kits on the market. I use what I think are my best options and best sellers and look no further. I will on occasion try a kit if I have a customer that has specific wants. Case in point the gear shift pen which I still have to complete. I think my friend has forgotten I promised him one.:biggrin::biggrin: Don't tell him.

With that said the only kit that I know of that does not have a clip is the Panache. You can add to this list if you would like.

Now we all can make custom pens and not include clips if we choose and I have seen this done here many times. But my question would be has your client ever asked for a kitless pen and why or what reason did they give??

Now here are some thoughts. If a pen is used as a desk pen all the time why does it need one. You do not see clips on pens designed as desk pens and placed in funnels. Some people may say that the clip keeps the pen from rolling off the desk but i point out the above mentioned pens. Then there are fountain pens. How many people carry a fountain pen in their shirt pockets??? I would be leary of leakage but being I do not use them I am flying blind here. Others can correct this. So my theory is if you do not carry a fountain pen in a pocket why does it need a clip. To me it would look more sleek without.

So do you make pens with or without or both when you sell your pens. Any other enlightening info you care to share is appreciated. Have fun.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

I'm glad you made this thread, John. This is something I've been pondering lately. Now, I haven't sold a single pen yet (though I believe I'll soon be changing that).

I think the argument can go a couple ways. It's a duel between feature and function. A clip can add that extra bit of metal to give the pen just the right look sometimes but it can also be there for that breast pocket. Even in shirts that don't have pockets, I'd find myself clipping a pen horizontally between two shirt buttons. I'd always have to carry around a pen for work. Twice I left rollerballs in my pocket only to find a nice stain by the pocket.

Is the pen being made as a piece of artwork or is it being made as a writing instrument first and foremost? When I see a pen without a clip, I look at the pen more as a piece of artwork to be admired, each detail to be considered, than a writing instrument to be lugged around. Sometimes I make a pen to just make a pen, but other times I make each decision with careful thought, if that makes sense.

CREID

Now we all can make custom pens and not include clips if we choose and I have seen this done here many times. But my question would be has your client ever asked for a kitless pen and why or what reason did they give??
Did you mean "clipless" here

jttheclockman

Yes I did. Sorry about that. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this question either. I do not know why I bother. :rolleyes:

keithbyrd

I have had several requests for clipless pens. Reasons - they like the pens size, shape etc but don't like the clip. Also they think the clip detracts from the beauty of the pen materials/design. Most don't carry them in their pockets - one lady has a soft leather that she wraps her pen in in her purse. This customer just ordered 24+ clipless pens.

bmachin

John,

You pose a couple of questions here.

With regard to clipless pens, I have made a few that I have given away. They work quite well in pants pockets, cases, and purses. Brian Gray at Edison sells one called the Mina, and there are many vintage pens that were made without clips. Since I make only kitless pens, I like them because it saves me threading a cap finial and tapping the hole for it.

Regarding fountain pen shirt pocket carry, I do it all the time; and yes I have stained a couple of shirts when the cap came unscrewed--my fault entirely. The upside I guess is that fountain pen and roller ball inks are water soluble dyes, so you have a better chance of getting the shirt clean than if it had been a leaking ball point or gel pen.

If you go to www.fountainpennetwork.com and search for clips you will find many threads on the subject.

Bill

corgicoupe

Yes I did. Sorry about that. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this question either. I do not know why I bother. :rolleyes:

Not so, John. You got me thinking about the Kojent pens I usually make (most for gifts). I think I will remove the clips on three that I have, just to see how they will look. When I assemble, I often struggle with where to orient the clip to not interfere with the grain pattern. Eliminating the clip would eliminate that problem.

You have raised an interesting variation that many have probably not considered (particularly if they are primarily sellers). Let's see if others join in here.

corgicoupe

Before and after...

Attachments

• Clipless fountain pens 001.JPG
    Clipless fountain pens 001.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Clipless fountain pens 014.JPG
    Clipless fountain pens 014.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 171

jalbert

I've had both requested from me. Some people just like the look of a clipless, and since a lot of people who drop the money on custom pens carry them in a roll or other type of pouch, the need for a clip is somewhat irrelevant as far as function goes.

In regards to aesthetics, I personally prefer a clip, as a clipless pen has way too much radial symmetry for my liking, and a clip breaks it up nicely.

RobS

Function drives form or aesthetics drive form. Depends on the crowd. I love a clip-less pen for desk use, it is just sleek. I love a pen with a clip too. I do not think there is a wrong answer. I do however believe that you need to adapt to your client and if they want clip-less then hey so be it.

I had an artist request a pentel pencil to very exact diameter dimensions and to not include the clip, since he rolled it in his hand as he see fit to drive the lead to perform to his will.

All my dress shirts do not have pockets so I toss a pen in my pants, the clip-less cuts down on it snagging.

jttheclockman

Well I am glad some people are adding their thoughts to this conversation. As mentioned there is no wrong way or right way to this. It is a matter of taste and customer request. I can honestly say OI have never had a customer ask for a clipless pen. I think we are all used to the sight of a pen with a clip ever since we grew up. Now that we are getting into making our own pens and customizing them, the thought and sight of them is more common.

Clips can become a presentation problem id doing a certain blank. Have to decide where is the best place to face the clip. Going clipless solves that problem. Please keep the thoughts coming. Interesting read. I like those before and after photos someone posted. They do show a dramatic difference. :)

SteveG

Some thoughts in response...
This is one of those make conversation threads:)

The clipless pen. Let me start this off by saying I am one of those people who do not look at all the kits on the market. I use what I think are my best options and best sellers and look no further. I will on occasion try a kit if I have a customer that has specific wants. Case in point the gear shift pen which I still have to complete. I think my friend has forgotten I promised him one.:biggrin::biggrin: Don't tell him.

With that said the only kit that I know of that does not have a clip is the Panache. You can add to this list if you would like.

Now we all can make custom pens and not include clips if we choose and I have seen this done here many times. But my question would be has your client ever asked for a kitless pen and why or what reason did they give?? I have not had a client request clipless, but do have a sales tray of special pens which do not have clips, as part of my display . Instead of a clip, I have attached a small piece of silver sculpture which enhances the appeal of the pen and functions as a rollstop. These are pen designs intended to appeal to women. The reasoning is that women, for the most part, have no use for a clip, but may enjoy a feminine oriented silver enhancement to their pen. These have been favorably received.

Now here are some thoughts. If a pen is used as a desk pen all the time why does it need one. You do not see clips on pens designed as desk pens and placed in funnels. A desk pen with funnel is typically immediately returned to the stand when not actively in use. Thus no worry about it rolling away. Some people may say that the clip keeps the pen from rolling off the desk but i point out the above mentioned pens. Then there are fountain pens. How many people carry a fountain pen in their shirt pockets??? I would be leary of leakage but being I do not use them I am flying blind here. Others can correct this. So my theory is if you do not carry a fountain pen in a pocket why does it need a clip. To me it would look more sleek without. I have not done this with fountain pens, but can see the potential for producing a clipless fountain pen with a silver "sculpture" or medallion, a pen intended for either a man or woman.

So do you make pens with or without or both when you sell your pens. Any other enlightening info you care to share is appreciated. Have fun.:)

An added thought is to consider the larger traditional fountain and/or rollerball pens that are non-postable. These are typically too large to go in the pocket, and so the function of the clip is to round out the visual appeal of the pen. The clip also serves as a rollstop, but only until the cap is removed. With the cap off, this type of pen can roll wherever it wants!

CREID

I guess I should have chimed in earlier. But personally I prefer the clip. I can't tell you how many times something round rolls off my desk and it really ticks me off. Maybe I need therapy, but I prefer the click for that reason.

Top Bottom