Clip for workshop pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

I've never made the workshop pencil, but I've made a ton of the sketch pencils, and after putting the clip on the first one and hating it, I have not voluntarily put one on another pen. When I have made one for someone I have given them the option of having the clip or not, and I still have only put the one clip on the first one...

Long story short, (or vice versa...) I have a bunch of spare clips from the sketch pencil, and I could send you a couple to try if you want...PM me your address. I have mostly gold, but I also have 2 black. Never did a chrome one...

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Would something like this work?

Attachments

• 0908231320a.jpg
    0908231320a.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 0908231320d.JPG
    0908231320d.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 146

RussBoyd

clip

Mike, that's a great idea. Surely that's not so simple as being a paper clip? You got me actually thinking now. There's a novelty. Thanks,,,, Russ

mbroberg

I wish I could claim it as my idea. I saw this clip on some of Skiprat's pens and also on ldb2000's work. No, not a paper clip. Care to guess again?

PenMan1

The shop pencil kit that Woodcraft sells has a clip and a sharpener in the cap. I have made many of these and they work great and they stay clipped to your pocket.

RussBoyd

clip

Thanks everyone. Mike, I am curious what that clip is made of. I like the style and would like to try it. Todd is sending me some from another type. Thanks again.

leaycraft

Just a thought but Lee Valley has a "pocket magnet" that holds magnetic material to the outside of a pocket. If the fittings are magnetic a Neo glued /sewed to smock pocket should hold it in place, where it can be just pulled off.

mbroberg

Russ,

Barney already told you. It is indeed, stainless steel welding rod. My example is 1/16 inch diameter. When you buy it the rod will be coated. Use pliers to pinch and crumble the coating off the rod. Then It is just a matter of cutting and bending. If you take a look in Skiprat's and ldb2000's photo albums you will see some other examples of this clip. I glued my clip in. Butch (ldb2000) suggested that by bending the prongs inward the clip can be held in by it's own tension. That way, if the clip is ever bent it can be easily replaced.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure we would all like to see a picture of the finished product.

RussBoyd

clip

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I think I'll give that a try (probably some experimenting/practice first). I'll get a pic up whenever I get around to trying that. Thanks again.

Top Bottom