Clip Repair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
K

kooseman

I noticed that the clip on one of my previously turned slimline pens has loosened as a result of its twisting motion. How can I repair/prevent this?
Also, as a result of the clip turning on the barrel, there is an actual (scratch) line created in the wood. Can this be rubbed out or is there another solution?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snowbeast

I've repaired a few of those by just disassembling the upper barrel. Use a punch to knock out the finial and then use a drop of medium CA to hold the clip where you want it as you press it all back together.

While you have it apart, you can repair the scratch. Anything from minor buffing to sanding down and refinishing it on your lathe.

Takes a little time but easy to do. Good luck with it.

renowb

What Snowbeast said.

I've repaired a few of those by just disassembling the upper barrel. Use a punch to knock out the finial and then use a drop of medium CA to hold the clip where you want it as you press it all back together.

While you have it apart, you can repair the scratch. Anything from minor buffing to sanding down and refinishing it on your lathe.

Takes a little time but easy to do. Good luck with it.

tim self

As CA gassing can mess with the finish, disassemble the upper barrel, lightly rough up the ring part of the clip and put loctite on the clip/cap and reassemble. Wipe off excess loctite and it should be fine.

Drstrangefart

I put a drop or two of thick ca just inside the tube and press the cap down hard and that seems to work well enough. I haven't really had the problem come up since I started using a small vinyl hammer to press my caps into place.

alphageek

Former Moderator
As CA gassing can mess with the finish, disassemble the upper barrel, lightly rough up the ring part of the clip and put loctite on the clip/cap and reassemble. Wipe off excess loctite and it should be fine.

+1 on loctite vs CA. CA can mess with the plating. If you use CA make sure its got plenty of breathing time to out/off gas.

PenMan1

+2 on Loctite. If thread compound in not available, 5 minute epoxy would be a better choice. CA in direct contact with any plated parts will eventually destroy the plating. DAMHIKT.

K

kooseman

Thanks for all the great advice. Apparently, the locktite seems to be the preference without possibility of damage to the plating. It'd be a nice if the pen parts/kits manufacturers would mention this. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Roland

Which loctite are you referring to. Loctite is a manufacturer of many types of glue of which CA is one of them.

Roland

snyiper

Loctite is usually refered to as thread locker, the blue or red will work to hold things together the blue being the lesser of 2 evils. Some people that say Crazy Glue are actually refering to CA which also has different thicknesses and set times.

sbell111

I always use CA for this. Just don't reassemble the pen until the CA is fully cured and leave it in a well-ventilated area until it has done so. If you have any doubt, leave it on teh bench for a day with a fan running.

Top Bottom