Clip Reference - Community Effort

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I'm bought some kits that look good in a catalog, and have been very disappointed in once they arrive. The reason for my disappointmen is the low quality clip. Had I been able to tell what the clip was like, I would have purchases a different kit (vendors note - probably a more expensive kit).

For me, there are two factors. Is the clip "Formed"? By that, I mean is the part of the clip that rides against the pen formed by bending the sheet metal around to form a ball or other shape. Some clips are "Solid" (preferable), comming down to touch the pen in a graceful arch (like some cigars), or using a solid half sphere on the underside of the clip which rides against the pen (slimline pro, euro).

Worse yet, some of the formed clips have the sheet metal bend around to form a ball, and the edge of the metal is right where the clip touches the pen. I call these "Snaggable" becasue fabric can snag on these clips. I ruined a shirt pocket on one of these - it caught a thread and pulled it out.

My biggest issue us simply not knowing. There is definately an appropriate roll for a formed clip at a certain price point. But, kit price does not seem to be a good indicator on this. Personally, I want all my pens to have solid clips, and will pay a bit more for it.

What I find totally unacceptable are the snaggable clips. In my opinion these need to simply be completly removed from the market. It makes no sense to ruin a shirt on a clip, no matter how inexpensive.

So, here is the deal. Lets post in this thread kits and their clip charactistics. Once we get most of this info, i'll submit it for inclusion in the library.

Please post info on the kits you know. Here is what I know to date, and if you are still unsure what the terms mean - these are examples.

Internet Vendors, I also strongly encourage you to include this information in your product descriptions. Woodcraft may be a little more expensive, but at least I can go to the store and be sure of what I am getting.

Attachments

• Clips.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Top Bottom