Clip recess for Artisan Rollerball & Fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

I have seen some beautiful tutorials in the library on how to make blind clip recesses. My question is a lower-tech one from a relative newbie. I've made a few of the above pens which require a small recess to be cut in the top to accommodate a part of the pen clip which gets set into it. This requires cutting through both the wood and the underlying brass tube. I've tried using a plain wood file (slow and not sufficiently accurate in my use) and a Dremel with a round diamond stone (much faster, but I tend to wobble either the holding or Dremel hand and wind up with a slot that's too wide or not quite perpendicular to the pen shaft.) I don't know whether I just need to practice more, or whether the more experienced people out there have a better way of doing it. It's a shame to produce some nicely finished and turned blanks, only to be dissatisfied with the slot at the time of assembly. Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azamiryou

It's hard to work accurately with a workpiece in one hand and a tool in the other. Clamp one or the other down and you'll have a lot more control. It may be enough to brace it against the workbench as you cut it - cut a small V in the edge of your benchtop, and you can hold the barrel in it so it won't slide around.

Russknan

Thanks to all! I knew there were people out there who had solved the problem. So I've just ordered files, I'll try some woodburning, and I'll make a jig with a V. Amazing how much you can learn on this site! Russ

Top Bottom