Clip Placement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I am making several pens that have either a laser cut design or some other feature on the cap end. I am puzzled about clip placement to ensure the user can enjoy the design.

Do I place the clip 180 degrees away from the design to ensure maximum viewing? If so, the clip rides in the cradle of the hand and isn' very comfortable. Or, do I place the clip 90 degress one way so the clip rests against the skin but doesn't cover the design?

Looking for thoughts either way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I don't do any laser design pens but I always place the nicest part of the wood 90 degrees from the clip so a right handed person would see it when they are writing.

hewunch

I put the engraving such that the user can see it when s/he writes. So to the right of the clip if you are looking at it.

Sylvanite

Likewise, I typically put the design/engraving/pretty-grain on the pen such that it will be visible when writing. Since people typically hold the pen clip-up, that puts the image 90 degrees from it. Engraving reads from centerband to finial for right-handed customers, finial to centerband (on the other side) for lefties.

There are, of course, different opinons. Several people prefer that a design go opposite the clip, or on the lower barrel.

Regards,
Eric

bitshird

Sigh....it's a right handed world. Us poor lefty's never get pens made for us! :biggrin:

Ah sir, Not entirely true, I've made two left handed pens, one for a Lawyer and one for a web contact, both were engraved on the wrong side of the pen, and the clip at 90 degrees so the poor soul could see their artwork while writing, Some of us are considerate to those of the backward persuasion. Try and figure this, my lovely wife is right handed, as am I, both my parents and hers were right handed, but both of our children are lefty's.

Top Bottom