Clip Placement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C Randall

Is it better to place the clip over something in the grain that you'd rather call attention to, or over something that you'd rather hide?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

If you have a small enough top end chip, or other slight flaw in the barrel or finish, it seems to me you have to use the clip to hide it.

If not, then if you can use the clip to emphasize the nice features of the blank then do that.

SteveG

When I have a feature in the grain or other prominent visual aspect located on the cap. I will place that to the RIGHT of the clip (Perspective: Looking straight at the pen, cap up,barrel down. The area to the right of the clip is the preferred location.) My reasoning is that for Right-handed writers, pen held in RIGHT hand, the clip will be oriented upwards away from the hand. The area you then see is what I descibed, so the "good stuff" goes there. (Sorry "lefties", you are in the minority.)

The above is a generalized default approach to the issue. Sometimes, with prominent, slightly diagonal grain patterns, it will look good to surround the clip, grain appearing symmetrical WRT the clip.

Finally, I have heard that some pen turners experience a flaw or defect. Although I have no experience with this phenomena,:rolleyes::wink:, I would think hiding it under the clip might be a suitable solution.

Sabaharr

In the unlikely event that there is a flaw somewhere in the material I will do my best to cover it with the clip. If no flaws exist I try to use the clip to enhance the patterns.

Joey-Nieves

Although I use it to hide a defect, I also tend to match it with the pattern I made on the pen, but according to some manufacturers it goes of the left side of the part of the pen you want to face up, so that when you place it on a desk the Nice part faces up. For example a fountain pen with a lever pump facing up, the cap would be on your left side and the clip would facing you.

Top Bottom