Clints wood treatment question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

Just bought some incredible banks from Clint on Ebay.

What is the slimy stuff that covers his blanks?[xx(] I assume it is some sort of sealant. How do you clean them up?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

Thanks Jim.

Not an exact answer but a good starting point.

The strange thing is that mess on the blanks feels more like linseed and vaseline.
[:p]

elody21

Clint soaks his blanks in hot canola oil and beeswax. Find one of his sales on e-bay and check out his information page. Somewhere in all that info he tells what he does to his blanks and why.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lynn--when I've bought wood from Clint I usually wipe the excess "slop" off, then wipe again with DNA or acetone. Generally within a month or so the wood is ready to turn.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Lynn--when I've bought wood from Clint I usually wipe the excess "slop" off, then wipe again with DNA or acetone. Generally within a month or so the wood is ready to turn.

Okay, this one is out there but I swear this is what I do and it works for me.

Take the wood and boil it in a pot of water for about a half hour.

Remove wood from hot water and lay on a bed of paper towels until they seem dry to the touch (10-15 minutes).

Put the blanks in a gallon size ziplock bag and leave one end open about an inch or two.

I bring the blanks down to the Laundry/Furnace room where it is warmer that the rest of the house (epsecially in the winter months).

After a week or 10 days open the bag completely to let what's left of the moisture escape.

Blanks should be ready to turn in 4-6 weeks.

Remember, Clint's wood is shipped mostly wet. my technique works well for me and I have had no trouble with the wood shrinking or expanding after I turn it.

Again, this method works well for me, it may not work as well for you or it may not work at all.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Another excellent idea, Mudder! [:D]

It's not an original idea Lou, just one that works for me.
I have also had good luck soaking the blanks in DNA for a few days and then drying them in the garage but boiling them is easier and safer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom