Clint's Ebay Blanks - Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTaylor801

For those that have ordered or frequently order Clint's blanks from ebay. Are you allowing the blanks to dry out prior to turning? I'm not sure if my blanks just have more wax content to them...but I've attempted to turn one and it oozed when I drilled it and when I turned it. I'm concerned with the amount of moisture that appears to be through and through on the blank and how it will hold up after finished.

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

I have bought Clints blanks a couple of times. The first time I had good luck and they were dry and beautiful, but the second time was quite different. I put the blanks along where I dry all of my other blanks, in a wire drawer. Some were fine and some shrivled up at the places that looked the best when I bought them. He had cut the blanks including punky, spongy wood. They are not usable.
I have talked to clint on e-mail before and he says that he sells some of his blanks knowingly wet because he feels they dry from the heat of the sanding. When he gets down to the bushings he saturates the blank with CA glue. He feels this works great. I want to say he is a VERY nice guy and I am only repeating what he e-mailed to me. I have had wonderful luck with some of his blanks.
Clint soaks his blanks in a combination of Canola oil and beeswax to slow the drying process.
He has a page where he explains his processes and is always willing to answer questions. I feel you should really be asking him these questions. He could do a much better job of answering them.

dozer

I have bought several pen blanks, bowl blanks, and burl blocks and I have not had any problems. I always let any blanks I buy no matter who I buy them from sit for at least a month or more in my shop before I attempt to turn them.

JTaylor801

Hi Alice,

My intent with this post wasn't to try to discredit Clint or even discourage anyone from purchasing from him. What I was hoping to accomplish was to learn from others who are more experienced than I am, and how they deal with his blanks.

I read the info that he ships with the blanks and have turned and assembled one pen. The info encourages the material to used quickly. Like I said, when I drilled the blank, liquid (mixture of canola oil, beeswax etc.) oozed out. I decided to go ahead and finish out the pen just to see how it would look. I use the CA/BLO finish process and all seem to have worked out fine. I guess my concern is more towards the future and what is going to happen as the pen continues to dry? While it's sealed in the CA/BLO mixture, could I expect the wood to shrink on the brass tubes where it no longer fits against the tip etc.?

Thanks,
Jerry

elody21

I agree Jerry. I was trying to use my words carefully. I too was not trying to say anything negative. He is a very nice guy and would never intentally sell anything he thought was wrong. I guess that is why I wanted you to e-mail him with your concerns. I hope you realize I was not trying to be cross or short with you at all. It is difficult to convey ones mood in an e-mail.
You have a legitamate concern. I have to admit I have ony turned ones from him that I was sure were dry, for I too was taught never to use wet wood to make pens.
Good luck! Alice

bmchan

Originally posted by dozer
<br />I have bought several pen blanks, bowl blanks, and burl blocks and I have not had any problems. I always let any blanks I buy no matter who I buy them from sit for at least a month or more in my shop before I attempt to turn them.

That's a new one on me (and I am new here). If the blank is stabilized do you still let them sit?

AMD

I bought a batch of blanks and knife scales from Clint on Ebay.
I was very disappointed to receive them in a kind of grease...
I hoped to send make stabilize them, but thus it is impossible with the grease...
Then, 4 pen blanks and 2 set of knives scales arrived broken in 2 pieces
and 3-4 others pen blanks arrived twisted like bananas...

I have write to him 4-5 times without having any answer...
(however before buying it seemed sympatic and answered quickly...)

Alain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom