Click! Sheesh! Ouch! Click!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

I've been fiddling with a slight adaptation of LauLauWoods Click pen and I think I've figured out why most of the examples I've seen have been segmented. There's nothing like having 4+ inches of bit jam in a piece of expensive lucite, followed by an hour of struggling to get the bit back out, to teach this turner a lesson.

I thought I was drilling slowly and clearing the passage religiously. The truth is that I wasn't even close. When you're that deep in plastic another eight of an inch can be a long way. Anyway, one nick on my pointing finger and and ounce of WD40 later I have a drilled lucite blank that, strangely enough, is actually centered from end to end.

Next time I'll cut the segments, drill them individually and then glue everything up.

Marc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Marc you could always buy a long drill bit and drill them on your lathe---Aaron sells the bits---super high quality ---worth the money.

marcruby

I've got one of Aaron's bits. You're right, their top quality and sharp - hence the bandage on my finger. >:p

For the record, I don't like drilling on the lathe. I either have to turn the blank round, which makes it hard to use with my scroll saw, or I pop it into a chuck. Chances are if I did that and the drill jammed it would blow the blank.

I just write this off to not thinking and rushing. It's just that the definition of 'rushing' is a lot different when you're 4 inches deep. What I'm after is a more retro version of the pen than Aaron does.

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get thin sheets of silver or gold, would you. I hate aluminum and brass.

Marc

Marc you could always buy a long drill bit and drill them on your lathe---Aaron sells the bits---super high quality ---worth the money.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jewelry supply house would be my best guess. Sheet gold is gonna be expensive.

RingsNThings comes to mind
RioGrande

marcruby

I'm probably going to use riogrande. Actually, $200 worth of gold will do a fair number of pens if it's just simple inlay work. It just gets factored into the price of the pen, anyway. >:p

Marc

Jewelry supply house would be my best guess. Sheet gold is gonna be expensive.

RingsNThings comes to mind
RioGrande

Top Bottom