click pens that don't lose their color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

I would like to find some click pens that don't lose their gold color so fast as the ones I'm using now. I won't mention where I buy from, I might be breaking some rule. The ones I use now lose their gold plating in about a month. If they are going to go that fast I might as well use stainless steel. Thanks for any help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
gold is a thin plating, and very soft. It will rub off, no matter what.

If you want gold, you should go with titanium nitride, which is a gold coloured plating (like what they use on drill bits), albeit much tougher (because there's not any gold in it, admittedly). Otherwise, the shiny silvery platings seem to last much longer.

ANdrew

alphageek

Former Moderator
And to your other part.... Click is very generic. You can tell us what pen names and where you get them from without breaking any rules. Without that it will be hard to compare and give similar pens.

Craftdiggity

I don't buy any gold plated pens anymore for this very reason. The Titanium Nitride is great if you want that gold color and lasts forever. For me, it is almost always worth the price for the upgraded platings.

steamshovel

OK here goes, if I'm not breaking any rules. Where I buy my pens is woodcraft. I like woodcraft but these pens stink. I like the gold colored pens but would like them to last, a little longer.

thanks for any help

Last edited:

RogerH

Good luck finding a lot of pen kits made in the USA. From what I know, the best quality seems to come from Taiwan, and the mainland China stuff is usually the poorer quality. I'm sure the old timers can fill us both in.

JRay8

I use the gatsby click pens. I gave several away to friends to test and nearly a year later after daily use they all look new still. in addition to 24kt gold psi offers a gold titanium. i carried one daily in 24kt till a few weeks ago and it still looks like and works like new. to give you an idea how durable it is. i have been through several refills and it has been used by a few hundred of my customers at the restaurant. i drop it. i spin it on the desk. i click it all day long. i really couldnt be happier with it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
OK here goes, if I'm not breaking any rules. Where I buy my pens is woodcraft. I like woodcraft but these pens stink. They are not USA made which explains why they are junk. I like the gold colored pens but would like them to last, a little longer.

thanks for any help

Like Andrew pointed out - I'm in agreement with... I avoid "gold" like the plague unless there is absolutely no option. The only "gold color" I turn anymore is Ti Gold (sometimes called TN as well). Much more durable than real gold.

Just a word of warning, TN kits are going to cost more, but the price is worth it. (reduce the pain by seeing some of the vendors on here.. that helps)

As for made in America - there isn't a click kit made in America. There is definate differences in quality of the stuff being made from overseas though. There is a manufacturer that is starting to make stuff in the US, but they are currently higher end rollerball & fountain. I'd be surprised to see a US made ballpoint anytime soon.

JimB

OK here goes, if I'm not breaking any rules. Where I buy my pens is woodcraft. I like woodcraft but these pens stink. They are not USA made which explains why they are junk. I like the gold colored pens but would like them to last, a little longer.

thanks for any help

Almost all pen kits you buy, from any supplier and at any price will NOT be made in the USA. The problem sounds more like you are buying the cheapest plating. If you want better plating you will need to spend more for the "gold" that has already been mentioned or use a different color/type of plating.

Your statement that just because they are not made in the USA they are junk is a very unfair statement.

thanks for any help

Almost all pen kits you buy, from any supplier and at any price will NOT be made in the USA. The problem sounds more like you are buying the cheapest plating. If you want better plating you will need to spend more for the "gold" that has already been mentioned or use a different color/type of plating.

Your statement that just because they are not made in the USA they are junk is a very unfair statement.

One of the problems new turners might be having now, is that gold is no longer the cheap plating in many instances. As gold prices have risen, the price of many of the gold component sets has gone up as well. It is often just below the Ti platting quite often. Take a look at CSUSA's Venus Rollerballs. They are their most expensive sets, and the most expensive platting is 10k gold. If I didn't know any better, I'd think gold was a premier platting.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
None

Currently there is no USA mass producer of pen kits for turners.

I have not found a supplier for the mass market that doesn't sell kits made in Taiwan or mainland China (we tend to include Hong Kong in mainland China nowdays although it is a Special Administration Region and has only been "chinese" since 1997 after about 130 years of British ownership). There are probably other places that could be competitive in price with these areas but none are currently offering kits in the mass market.

thanks for any help

tim self

You may also be getting the gold satin finish which is a crap finish. I had 2 satin euros from WC that has only been in the holders and out for display. Never in a pocket and the plating is wearing off. Give away pens or shop pens now.

toyotaman

I was looking at the Gatsby pens in the PSI book this morning thinking that I would like to get away from slims. Just getting the right price on them will be the next thing. PSI has an offer that if you buy 3 of the Gatsby 24kt Gold ball point pens at $6.95 that they will give you the accessories free.

alphageek

Former Moderator
does someone on this site sell The gatsby click pens, that was mentioned earlier?

Thanks

Both PSI and Woodturningz people show up now and then around here, but not very often.

Another alternative for the PSI gatsby click is the Berea sierra click - and there is a couple of active vendors here that sell Berea.

okiebugg

Plating quality

OK here goes, if I'm not breaking any rules. Where I buy my pens is woodcraft. I like woodcraft but these pens stink. I like the gold colored pens but would like them to last, a little longer.

thanks for any help

One more bites the dust. The gold plating issue is exactly why I quit buying any pens from W/C. I complained before that all you have to do is 'touch' the gold plating with the edge of a buffing wheel and your pen turns into chrome and you have to buff the gold off of everything. I talked to customer service who was nice, but got no satisfaction

From my research, I started purchasing from Wood N Whimsies because many are epoxy coated over the plating. Great delivery time and great customer service. NO, I don't have any interest in WnW or any other supplier

Top Bottom