Click Pens, Any good ones?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

I have a possible order for about 100 pens, but the customer wants click pens, and I hesitate to do this because my experience with click pens are that they are a continuous source of repeat non-revenue producing work. (they keep coming back for repair)

I usually stay away from click pens, because the mechanisms are not designed to last that long.

What click pens have you found that are good, and have a sturdy mechanism that don't require replacement and or repair on a constant basis?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

I have been carrying and using a Sierra click for the past 3 months as my daily driver. It has never failed and I really like it - except it is a little large for me.

Brooks803

The long click in my opinion is the best "kit" click pen out there right now. I've made and sold many and haven't had any issues. The only thing with them is you have to put the spring on the refill in the right direction or else it could bind and not click properly.

If you're set up for custom pens I'd strongly think about using these: Push Button Mechanisms [10179] : Richard L. Greenwald, LLC, Pens, Pens Parts and Photographs There aren't any plastic parts that can break. It's all metal and you get a silky smooth click every single time. You can set it up to use whatever refill you want. I use the parker since it's readily available. You'll still need a spring on the refill, but the direction doesn't matter.

Last edited:

warreng8170

The Vertex is a nice pen and the "click" is smoooooth. There is an inherent design flaw that you must address (it's an easy fix) if you were to make them for sale. The threaded plunger that the click cap screws on to is hollow. This weakens it significantly and it will break. I had multiple returned for the exact reason until I figured out the cure. Take a standard round toothpick and cut off one end to make it flat. Push it down into the hole until it bottoms out. Cut the toothpick off flush witht the top of the threads. Put one drop of thin CA onto the toothpick so that it wicks down into the hole. This gives the plunger much more rigidity. The whole process takes about 30 seconds.

Culprit

I've been carrying a long click from CSUSA for a month or so now and haven't had any problems. I've made a few others and they haven't had any problems either.

renowb

Vertex are hit and miss. I've had several returned for repair. But, I've sold more without any problems.

Vertex click from PSI

Vertex Gun Metal Click Pen Kit at Penn State Industries

I received one of these in a pen swap and am way impressed with the quality of the mechanism. And, it's an overall attractive pen.

Disclaimer - I have not made one.

Read the reviews in the PSI page. There are mixed and very different opinions there, although the 5 star reviews outnumber the rest.

BSea

I agree with Jonathon. The absolute best click pen I've ever made or used was one using the mechanism from Richard Greenwald. You can actually make them fairly quickly using a 10mm tube and a cigar nib. You can buy just the nibs from Wood-n-whimsey. Then you just have to select a clip to use. Here's mine with a cigar nib.

I really need to do another one of these with a different cap similar to Jonathon's.
KitlessClick1A.jpg

I also agree with him on the long click or clicker. I've made many, and haven't had a complaint on any of them. Here's my Dad's Montana pen with the State Quarter & Glacier Park quarter from Seamus. The centerband is simulated.

I've been using a long click for over a year without a problem. I use it almost everyday to do the Sudoku puzzle in the paper.

finished2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom