Click pen repair?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

I had someone ask me to make them a click pen. I used this component set: Buy Click Pen Kit Gold at Woodcraft

I spent a lot of time cutting pieces and gluing up the blank. I turned it super slow to avoid blow out and took a lot of time putting a high gloss CA finish on it. Everything was good.

Then I assembled it. I used a press block and did everything by the book. But, the click doesn't work.

The only thing I could figure out was that I didn't seat the click mechanism all the way when I pushed it into the upper barrel with the refill. Has anyone else ever had this problem and do you think this is what heppened?

This isn't my first click pen, but it is my first time having this problem.

Any idea who the supplier for this kit is or where I can get a new mechanism?

Also, the upper insert that the clip goes under was a tad loose, so I used a drop of glue when I installed it. Any thoughts on how to disassemble without destroying th whole pen? (And, yes I am absolutely sure the clicker didn't get glue in or on it.)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I'd be willing to bet money that your "drop of glue" seeped into the mechanism. Those kits are the worst with failures also IMO. Unfortunately i dont have a solution for you other than to start over (new kit, new blank).If you decide to disassemble the kit,you are guaranteed to ruin the components so be extra careful and maybe you can salvage the blanks

Jim Smith

I've encountered this problem before with long click pens. Try removing the nib and see if the spring has "seated" itself too far up the refill. Pull the spring off, turn it around, reassemble it again and give it a try. If this fixes the problem, you may need to get a spring with a slightly smaller opening at the end. Wirth a try...

Jim Smith

NotURMailman

Upon further inspection, the click mechanism is "crushed" inside the pen. I'm about to start over from scratch. What bothers me is that I don't know how it happened...

Top Bottom