Click Pen Kits with Quality Mechanisms, Schmidt SKM-88 and others? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Click Pen Kits with Quality Mechanisms, Schmidt SKM-88 and others?

I need click pens at work. Reach up, grab pen from pocket with dominant hand, click pen with thumb of same hand, and ... ready to write.

I saw these "Duraclick EDC" pen kits at Penn State. (EDC = every day carry.) They claim that the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism feels better, is more reliable, and is more durable than other mechanisms.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/d...-pen-kits.html

Here are my questions:

1. Are these Schmidt SKM-88 mechanisms really better?

2. Can you name other pen kits that use SKM-88 mechanisms?
(Especially the ones from Penn State and Rockler, which is where I get most pen kits.)

3. Are there other quality click and twist mechanisms that you recommend (especially click)?

4. Can you name a few kits from Penn State or Rockler that use the mechanisms you recommend?
penicillin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 10

Try the Tempest pen by Beaufort Ink. Turners Warehouse sells them.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by penicillin View Post
I need click pens at work. Reach up, grab pen from pocket with dominant hand, click pen with thumb of same hand, and ... ready to write.

I saw these "Duraclick EDC" pen kits at Penn State. (EDC = every day carry.) They claim that the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism feels better, is more reliable, and is more durable than other mechanisms.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/d...-pen-kits.html

Here are my questions:

1. Are these Schmidt SKM-88 mechanisms really better?

2. Can you name other pen kits that use SKM-88 mechanisms?
(Especially the ones from Penn State and Rockler, which is where I get most pen kits.)

3. Are there other quality click and twist mechanisms that you recommend (especially click)?

4. Can you name a few kits from Penn State or Rockler that use the mechanisms you recommend?
Since you read the other thread about the Duraclick, you probably know the answers to your questions. But I'll add my 2.

1. Yes they really are better. It's all metal (except 1 small o-ring) with few parts. Very VERY smooth.

2. To my knowledge, the duraclick is the only kit that uses the mechanism. In the past those of us that used them, made kitless click pens.

3 & 4. While there is at least 1 more good mechanism for click pens, it isn't used in a kit as far as I know.

I'm glad that a kit has been made from the Schmidt click mechanism. It's long over due IMHO. Hopefully, we'll see others. Did I mention they are smooth?

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
BSea is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Two years ago, I made this YouTube about the LeRoi click pen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWcNyqHjaDw

Since then, I have done a "drop test" over a dozen times with this same pen, which is one of my "daily carry" pens. It still clicks flawlessly.

Now, it IS an audible "click" style. Some people prefer the "soft" quiet click. I am still looking for one that will fit that bill. I have not tried the new PSI pen, but I will shortly and do a comparison.

Hope this helps!!
Ed
Old 03-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 89

Thumbs up Just made two of them

I just made two the these for Rocky Bemis and he seems to like them.
If he sees this he may chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Two years ago, I made this YouTube about the LeRoi click pen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWcNyqHjaDw

Since then, I have done a "drop test" over a dozen times with this same pen, which is one of my "daily carry" pens. It still clicks flawlessly.

Now, it IS an audible "click" style. Some people prefer the "soft" quiet click. I am still looking for one that will fit that bill. I have not tried the new PSI pen, but I will shortly and do a comparison.

Hope this helps!!
Ed
Edward Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I like the bolt action pens for that. Not much to fail.
raar25 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads