Click Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwpenworks

I have been looking into click pen kits for some time now. I was buying the csusa click pen kit. But it only comes in a gold plating, and I would like different plating options. I was looking at the Gatsby kit. But on another forum I saw some bad news about it. I might also be interested in the sierras. If there are those out there that could give me some advice I would sure appreciate it. I'm trying to go to a show with a few on hand but time is running out. Let me know folks. thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

David..I made the Sierra click pen about two months ago and have been using it every day without any problems. It appears to have a heavy duty click mechanism and the pen shows well. Darrell Eisner

redfishsc

The click pens tend to get mixed reviews, and the ONLY click pen I have made is one of them.

I have a customer who insisted on a click pen, so I ordered (before the Sierra click came out) the Berea click (the one with the double-bead center band).

I've made a good handful of them, and I've had a bit of trouble out of a few of them--- the refill seems to jam on the spring somehow, inside the tip.

Anyhow, I have only 1 Sierra click and I've had it for barely a week, it's the pen Monty sent me for the PITH swap (see the post in the SOYP forum, it is a REAL beauty!). The click seems to be better made than most other clicks.

dwpenworks

I am beginning to think that finding the perfect click pen kit is near impossible. I do like the sierra though. It is stylish and according to others only uses half of a normal pen blank. Here's a question though. The black plastic part near the nib, is there a way to make that out of the wood you would use? Has anybody done this, how does it look? Would it be worth the effort? Better yet, would anyone buy it?

wicook

Sierra mod

I remember someone posting a 'how-to' a few weeks back about taking the bottom barrel assembly apart and turning a wood replacement for the plastic-coated bottom barrel. Check the library. :biggrin:

Wildman

When saw this thread hoped someone would have something to say about Gatsby & Polaris click pens.

PSI sent me a catalog and was interested in ordering some Polaris & Gatsby click pen kits.
I know to order bushing set and extra tubes when ordering pen kits. Wish they put everything you need to make a pen kit in one place in the catalog. Extra tubes for the Polaris seem expensive.

Anybody got any negative or positive things to say about these kits"

Have made the CS click pen, pretty good op. Also double ring & Sierra click pens also pretty good op.

ldb2000

I have to agree with John on this one . I have made several of the long click pens and the quality is very good , they come in high quality platings and they have a very nice click mechanism , and best of all the sell good .

gwilki

David

Like the others, I've had good luck with the Sierra click. I don't like the spacer you need to use a Parker refill, though. It's too easy for the client to throw it out with the dead refill. I cut the tube down to 1.88". That way, it only takes the Parker refill. I think the pen looks better being shorter, too.

As for replacing the black plastic part, I've done it with acrylic on a non-click version a couple of times. It could be done in wood, too. Here's a pic (bad quality) of one of them.

Attachments

• blue sierra 1 LR.jpg
    blue sierra 1 LR.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 176

Rudy Vey

We also have good results with the Sierra click pens. I do not use the parker-style refill, I get the gel refills right away and put them in. Most people like the gel anyway more than the ball point. The extension piece is just a crappy idea and most people will forget within a few day to keep it.

dwpenworks

It sounds like I will need to go with the s.c. I think it's a better fit. It looks like I can do some custom work on it as well. The long clicks I might have to try one of these days but not right away. I can't begin to tell you how good all of the advice has been. We have a wonderful community here at the IAP.

rgordon

click pen

I like the long click pens and have had happy customers with them.
Ralph

Attachments

• DSCN0474.jpg
    DSCN0474.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0482.jpg
    DSCN0482.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom