click pen issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

betwisted

:at-wits-end:

I keep running into this problem with click pens: when squaring the ends of the tubes for mounting tbc or for final squaring/remove CA prior to finishing, I end up taking off a hair too much and when the pen is put together the tip of the ink refill sticks out 1/64 - 1/32". I use a sander and jig for squaring and when I get close to the tube I let it just "kiss" the disc (barely any pressure at all). This only seems to affect the click pens as with the twists there tends to be a little bit of play in the mechanisms where the final product goes together well. I'm sure others have run into this situation, has anyone found a reliable way to deal with it (other than be extra careful)? I'm considering that for all click pens I will buy and cut my own tubes a little longer than standard so that when they are processed they will end up at the correct length. The instructions say the tubes are supposed to be 2 1/32" long, I checked them with my calipers and out of the bag they are that length. I checked my tubes prior to installing them and they came in at 1.985" so with the two together I'm short just over a 1/16th:frown:.

Anyway, any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

betwisted

The first time it happened was on a sierra click (last week) and the second was a slimline pro (yesterday). I destroyed the click mechanism on the sierra in trying to disassemble the pen...haven't tried on the pro yet for fear of destroying the mechanism (although I think I can buy replacements).

farisdayoff

I have had nothing but issues with the slimpro. They are a finiky beast. I was running about 1 out of 3 actually working. I stopped ordering them altogether.

Guardians on the otherhand I have never had a problem with.

KenV

:at-wits-end:

I keep running into this problem with click pens: when squaring the ends of the tubes for mounting tbc or for final squaring/remove CA prior to finishing, I end up taking off a hair too much and when the pen is put together the tip of the ink refill sticks out 1/64 - 1/32". I use a sander and jig for squaring and when I get close to the tube I let it just "kiss" the disc (barely any pressure at all). This only seems to affect the click pens as with the twists there tends to be a little bit of play in the mechanisms where the final product goes together well. I'm sure others have run into this situation, has anyone found a reliable way to deal with it (other than be extra careful)? I'm considering that for all click pens I will buy and cut my own tubes a little longer than standard so that when they are processed they will end up at the correct length. The instructions say the tubes are supposed to be 2 1/32" long, I checked them with my calipers and out of the bag they are that length. I checked my tubes prior to installing them and they came in at 1.985" so with the two together I'm short just over a 1/16th:frown:.

Anyway, any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Joe

Joe -- you are not taking off a "hair too much" as you are over extended by 1/64 to 1/32nd of an inch. That is how much too much you are removing. This is a linear function and can be directly measured. Difference between original tube length and finished tube length tells the story -- and I will venture that the difference is probably more than you are thinking it is.

Use your calipers to measure length and you have an instant check.

Think about using a finer grit on your sanding disk -- so it cuts slower.

I have found with the factory tubes that come with the slimline pro I have to trim off a little extra or the refill doesn't stick out as much as I like it to. I've never had an issue with them. Once I had to turn the spring on the refill over so it wouldn't hang up, not sure why but it worked.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have found with the factory tubes that come with the slimline pro I have to trim off a little extra or the refill doesn't stick out as much as I like it to. I've never had an issue with them. Once I had to turn the spring on the refill over so it wouldn't hang up, not sure why but it worked.
Some of the parker refill springs are bigger on one end than the other and might just get hung up if you don't get them in the right direction.

betwisted

are the barrel trimmer systems (cutters/sleeves) more accurate or easier to control than sanding on the disc? I think I'll probably try the finer grit suggestion...there is a slightly worn down 80 grit disc on it now.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
are the barrel trimmer systems (cutters/sleeves) more accurate or easier to control than sanding on the disc? I think I'll probably try the finer grit suggestion...there is a slightly worn down 80 grit disc on it now.
IMHO, the barrel trimmer systems (cutters/sleeves)are more aggressive than sanding.

And the barrel trimer's are more likely to grab an destroy your bland. When sanding to length, I watch for the first touch on the tube. Then ---- very ---- gently---- take the rest. Cleaning up after finesh, the same. Works. Have fun.

Top Bottom