Click pen ink cartridge not retracting enough.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I just built a click pen that I bought from Woodcraft. I posted questions about the same pen earlier. When I click the pen to retract the ink cartridge it doesn't retract far enough. It sticks out far enough that you can still write with it. It's close to going in far enough, but it looks like to me if you put it in your pocket the way it is now the ink may leak in your pocket. Also, it just looks odd the way it is when it is retracted. Can I adjust this some how?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I'm not familiar with that kit, but if it uses a parker refill and you over trimmed the blank, then that may very well be the cause. You can make it useable by sanding some of the plastic off the refill, but I wouldn't sell it to anyone like that.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you can take it apart and add an "oops" ring, it will solve the problem.

OR, keep it in the "GOOFED" pile and reference it often - MAY stop you from doing it again soon. (My "GOOFED" pile is now about 50 pens).

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
There is a fix you can do that will work for a personal pen but I wouldn't sell a pen that has been "corrected" this way.
Take a spring from another refill and intertwine it arounfd the spring that came with the kit you assembled.
What you are trying to accomplish is to lenghten the distance between the recess the spring sets in inside the nib.
It will also increase the tension thus retracting the refill a little farther.This may be enough to solve your problem.
You didn't say which kit you used but there is always one thing to check before gluing in the tubes.
MAKE SURE OF THE LENGHT OF THE TUBES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTING!
If they are the same lenght then everything is O.K. if they are different lenghts go back and check teh destructions before cutting, drilling or doing anything to the PArts.
Parker pens regardles whether they are click or twist have a critical length on the bottom tube (as you found out).
Since you also said the tube showed through the blank and your odds of taking the top apart to salvage the kit without destroying are slim, make it a personal pen as a reminder of what to what out for in the future.

les-smith

I like the idea of the goof ring. So, I think I'm going to go that route. My goof pile as well is getting larger, larger than I like. Hey, has anyone thought of grinding up all of your goof pens and casting them. Then you could make a true "Goof Pen". Anyways, thanks for the input.

les-smith

I tried a thicker center ring. No luck, the click mechanism won't work with it. It doesn't allow the machanism to go far enough down to cause the machanism to activate. Moral of the story: On click pens "DO NOT" trim the barrels to far.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by les-smith
<br />I tried a thicker center ring. No luck, the click mechanism won't work with it. It doesn't allow the machanism to go far enough down to cause the machanism to activate. Moral of the story: On click pens "DO NOT" trim the barrels to far.
Withou seeing which kit you have it is kind of difficult to understand what you mean by a "thick" center ring.
If you have another kit,measure the bottom tube's length.This is how long the one you have made needs to be. On Prker s you can't use an "arbitrary" length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom