Clear material to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

NAH

I have a brillient (read untested and probably highly flawed) idea for a pen. It mostly involves using a clear plastic as the body, but putting a colored design on the inside of the plastic or outside of the tube. So, two questions, why isn't it going to work, and what material should I use? I got the idea from seeing some Acrylic rod, but it seems like it might not turn so well. Polycarbonate(Lexan) seems like it might do. Any sugestions or help? Thanks,
NAH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It might be fun to paint on the brass tubes, drill the blanks just a bit larger than normal and see what develops! Most hobby shops carry a variety of paints that will work on brass.

timdaleiden

You could try polyester resin.

Here is a link to Jay Pickens PMG album where he has embedded a number of things in clear PR. Some of them are quite striking.

http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/pickensjgal1.htm

Adam

i hope it isn't Lexan aka Blast proof lexan good luck if it is
i had a similar idea although you turn a slimline or what ever completely flat and then Turn the wood first then turn a perfect plastic sleeve to fit over it to meet the parts of the pen good luck though

Adam

G

I was talking to Jason at woodturningz about the new blank they are coming out with.
It's snakes skin and it is just as you described.
Snakes skin wrapped around a tube and cast in resin of some sort.
Hold on to your hat, one blank is going to cost $20.00.
Jason suggested using 1/2 a blnak for a pen and pencil set with contrasting material for the other 1/2.
Sounds like you are on to something!

NAH

$20 a blank is a little high for me right now, and besides, I like to make as much of it myself as I can. And Adam, yes, polycarb is Lexan, but you can cut it with normal wood working tools. I know this from experience. When you drill it, you *should* use a reground bit with small flats on it, but I've had good luck with normal bits (never cracked any, but that was sheet). I'm looking at the polyester though, as I can get the resin and some translucent dye. I think putting a silver leaf or foil over the tubes with the dye could prove to be very effective. When I get something I'll be sure to post it, sadly I'm away from the shop until Turkyday and Christmas (college student and all) so it may be a little while.

patrick_1853

I'm thinking the 20 dollars may be because of the snakeskin not so much the PR. I'm not really basing this on anything just a guess.

jwoodwright

I used a "bullet" type bit and drilled slow. Was making a spacer for a machine. It was clear plexiglass 3/4" rod. Just go slow and back out frequently. A hot drill bit will get stuck, trust me on this...[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom