Cleaning my bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwojeck

All,

I've been using the CA/BLO technicque for finishing and noticed a buildup of CA on my bushings. Do you have any suggestions on how to clean them? I'm started at them with a file, but any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom Wojeck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Now there's a new problem! The bushings are getting bigger. Most of the complaints I have seen concern the bushings getting turned or sanded smaller. As I don't use this finishing technique I will be standing by to see what answers the others provide.

The more I think about it the easier it is to see how this can happen and I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

Good Luck.

tomwojeck

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Now there's a new problem! The bushings are getting bigger. Most of the complaints I have seen concern the bushings getting turned or sanded smaller. As I don't use this finishing technique I will be standing by to see what answers the others provide.

The more I think about it the easier it is to see how this can happen and I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

Good Luck.

You know, that makes sense. The last pen I did was just a bit too big. I couldn't figure it out because I thought I had it turned down just right. Makes sense since my bushings were now off by about 1/64 or so cause of the CA on it.

timdaleiden

I put them on the mandrel with a compression nut, and give them a good skewing...if you know what I mean. Once I get down to metal, I stop.

G

The ones that are used for sizing tenons weer a pain till I realized not to leave the ring on when I finish my pen.
I keep acetone on hand.I put some in a tuna can throw in the bushings and wipe the down a little while tater.
Keep the can covered, it evaporates quickly.

NCTurner

Yes, CA buildup can certainly change the size of your bushings! First, if you'll put a VERY light coat of wax or similar coating on the bushings before using them, the CA (and the blank) comes away from the bushing much cleaner. At the end of an evening of turning, I slide them on a coat hanger (with a small kink at the bottom), and put them in a glass jar of acetone. The next day they're nice and clean (I swirl them around before taking them out.) Note that acetone is toxic, so I don't like putting my fingers in it or smelling it. The hanger wire helps with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom