cleaning mark from nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

While assembling a TN gold Gatsby kit with my pen press, I did a very stupid thing. I placed the nib in the recess on the white block and pressed the parts together. It seemed to centralize the parts and pressed in fine. I now have a very light grey ring about 1/16 inch wide on the circumference of the nib.
Tried cleaning with a cloth and Ren wax but no success. Does anyone know how to clean it. It does not look like a depression. Can I use some compound or solvent without damaging the finish? I tried a few searches but no results.
Appreciate advice. Thanks.
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I don't have an answer but rather another question. Isn't that how you use a pen press? I've been doing exactly what you describe so if it is not the right way to use it I would like to know so I don't damage any pens in the future. I just got my press so I've only used it on a few pens.

Stephen

Hi Jim,
In the past with slimline kits I have placed a dowel in the recess and the CB end of the barrel over the dowel to center it and the nib end on the moving end of the press with a piece of cardboard sandwiched. But with the Gatsby (single barrel) the final assembly requires nib and cap ends to be pressed to get the twist mechanism fully home. As I am typing I have a thought. I should have reversed so that the cap sits on the white block.I will check if my block is dirty to transfer it to the nib.
The question is to salvage 3 kits. I read in one of the threads to reduce another kit as spares to replace the damaged part.
Thanks
Stephen

I'm thinking if you look at the light gray ring under magnification, you'll find that its not dirt or alien substance at all, but rather minute "friction scratches". On 24k plating, I'd say you're out of luck. But since you used gold Ti, you may want to try rubbing the ring away with a very gentle polishing compound, such as Novus 2. It should polish the scratches away before damaging the Ti. Just my guess. Hope you solve your problem.

Stephen

Thanks Everyone. What a wonderful forum that gets you out of a desperate situation. As suggested by Shannon Novus 2 worked. Under magnification it looked like MM scratches!! Very, very gentle hand buffing with a little persuasion and great result. Thanks again.
Have a nice weekend.
Stephen

Top Bottom