Cleaning Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sean Troy

Hey all, I've been starting to use a CA finish with great results but get a slight buildup of CA on the busings. Can they be soaked in something to remove the buildup without hurting the bushings? Acetone maybe? Thanks, Sean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

Acetone works very well BUT be careful and minimize contact with hands or breathing fumes. Acetone is carcinogenic.

And HIGHLY flammable. Its flash point is -4ºF, meaning above that temperature there can be enough vapor to be flammable/explosive. (The lower explosive limit is 2.5%, the upper explosive limit is 12.8%)

I'm sure the warning is not needed, but be careful!

nava1uni

You can also use CA solvent, which is much gentler and works well. Just put n a small container and let soak. It comes right off. I use it to clean my hands and it is gentle and it better then peeling it off m skin.

gomeral

You can also use CA solvent, which is much gentler and works well. Just put n a small container and let soak. It comes right off. I use it to clean my hands and it is gentle and it better then peeling it off m skin.

That reminds me, back when I was a kid doing some plastic models, I'd use CA for certain glue-ups. I used my mother's nail polish remover instead of acetone - it's basically just acetone with other stuff in it, but it wasn't as volatile and it had some things in it that made it less drying on my hands.

That said, when I was older and building R/C models, I used to buy acetone in bulk at the local beauty supply store... :rolleyes:

daniel

Dai Sensei

Rather than continuing to have the problem, turn some teflon bushes the CA will not stick to and can be easily cleaned, they also avoid reactions with polishes. I make mine from cutting boards, cones to hold the various larger kits, the sleeves for the standard kits. I also have different coloured bushes for each mandrel.

Cheers

Attachments

• Bush - finish.JPG
    Bush - finish.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom