Cleaning Barrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

So being relatively new at pen turning, I have a question - I'm still using CA glue to glue my tubes to my blanks, but I find that I end up with a large pool of it in the end of my tube after I insert it.

I've been using a barrel trimmer to clean it out, but it never quite gets all of the glue out of the inside of the tube. I've resorted to using nail polish remover and ususally a small flat screwdriver to chip away at the hardened glue.

My question is, Is there anyway to eliminate the glue drip at the end of the tubes, do others have this problem, what other solutions are people using?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregHaugen

JimBob,
I think it's Arizona Silh. that sells the dentist sheets of wax. Some people punch the tube through the sheets to create a plug that is seated at the end of the tube. I don't use this technique but I know some do so I thought I'd share it.

jttheclockman

I have been using Play Dough. Works well. Cheap in Wally World. If you get board in the shop you can make sculptures with it too. Added bonus.

PaulDoug

I plug my tube with the dental wax from A.S. If I do get some glue inside, I use a round brass brush I had for cleaning 22 rifles.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I find that the BEST tool for the job is a hobby knife...I slide it around the blank, and it cleans out all the dried glue in one pass...

You don't have to go all the way down the tube, as there are no components that need to fit snugly down there, but if you're anal, you can take that glue out (if there is any dribble there) with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a nail...

Andrew

Jim Smith

I use two tools if I do get any glue in the barrels. I took a 4 inch piece of 3/4 inch dowel and drilled a hole in it crossways around the middle. I then inserted a 3 1/2 inch screw through the dowel. That way it's like a T handle. The screw I used has very sharp threads and is narrow enough to get in to any tube. If I have some dried epoxy in a tube, I use this "device" to scrap it out. If I only have a tiny bit, I use a 22 caliber bore brush that I mounted on a piece of wood I turned on the lathe.

Jim Smith

W3DRM

I do the same. The dental wax is great stuff.

Ditto above and it works great for CA or Gorrilla glue. I have different size rifle bore cleaning brass brushes for the different sized tubes. The only time I have problems is when I forget to use the dental wax...:redface:

JerryS

I picked up a set of dental picks from HF , I think there's about 6 different shapes . Some of the tools have a pick on one end. I use those to run down the inside of the tube to clean up my mess . The grip area of the tool is rough and this cleans up the inside real good .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I use a chainsaw to remove any glue.

Wow. That's harsh! :tongue:

I use chopsticks to apply the glue to the inside if the blank. They're about $5
for about a hundred pair and they're long and thin enough to get in there.
And you don't have to worry about applying too much, the glue will stick to
the wood and you can draw out any extra glue.

If I DO get glue inside the tube, I hit it with accelerator so it sets quick and then
I poke it out with the disassembly tool. It's a long metal rod and there's a base to
it so the rod doesn't poke through your skin. Poke up from underneath and the
glue will 'pop' off of the tube.

If I need to go any further than that (not often) I use a cotter pin and a small
strip of sandpaper in the dremel tool. It makes a small flap wheel that can get
inside the tube and sand out the glue residue. Just slip the sandpaper into the
cotter pin, tighten the collet and roll up the sandpaper ..

Last edited:

VisExp

If I need to go any further than that (not often) I use a cotter pin and a small
strip of sandpaper in the dremel tool. It makes a small flap wheel that can get
inside the tube and sand out the glue residue. Just slip the sandpaper into the
cotter pin, tighten the collet and roll up the sandpaper ..

That's a neat idea! I'll have to remember that. Thanks.

Tim'sTurnings

I also use clay to plug up the ends if I think it is needed. If glue does get in the tube I use this to clean it out:

DCP_0802-1-1.jpg

It works very well.

scotirish

Ever since I stopped putting glue inside the blank and started putting it on the brass tube I no longer have the build-up problem. :beauty::beauty::beauty: Glue on tube in stripes, as inserting it rotate it to spread the glue push to finished depth and no build-up. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

CHICAGOHAND

Play Dough and I remove it with a steel rod the same inside diameter as the tube, then I use a piece of threaded rod to lightly clean up the inside.
This has helped save a ton of time cleaning the glue in the tube.

fernhills

I use a long deck screw, they have coarse, very sharp threads. Makes quick work of scraping glue off tubes. When the screw gets gunked up with glue i trash it and get a fresh one.

BruceA

Try this Punch Set from Harbor Freight

I found using an exacto knife or equivalent scraping edge can scar the brass tube pretty bad - even to the point of affecting the tightness of fit for the pen kit.

I started using a punch from Harbor Freight - the set of 5 is only $4.99. The largest punch fits perfectly inside a Sierra brass tube with only a few 10thousandths play. The other smaller punches can work for other brass tubes too.

I plug with the dental wax on one end, then use an insertion tool to twist the tube into the blank.

After the glue has dried, I can stick the punch in the un-waxed end and "pop" the wax out the other end. Then by using the end of the punch, I can put pressure on the punch and it will clean off the glue with ease! The edge of the punch is sharp enough that it shears out the glue nicely.

Then flip the blank around, and clean out the opposite end.

By the way, the largest punch in the kit that works in the Sierra tube is perfect as a disassembly tool for the top of the Sierra kit. A couple wacks on the punch with a hammer, and it ejects the top off the Sierra - it's contacting the inside edge of the cap and doesn't damage the kit at all.

Bruce in TN.

Attachments

• Punchset.jpg
    Punchset.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 94

philb

I use an old mandrel, just push it through either end! Best of all its free when you buy a new one!

Then clean out the dust/chippings with a pipe cleaner, one push through and its clean!

randyrls

What is this dental wax?????? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cav; I scored almost a box of dental wax when I mentioned to my dentist that I use it in my pen making. They switched to a different system and don't use it any more. So he gave me what they had left. It helps that I made him a genuine ivory pen set.

Dental wax is a soft wax that comes in sheets about 3 x 6 inches. I

Tn-Steve

Oh man Bruce, ya beat me to it. I thought I was the first one to see the obvious use of the HF punch set for tube cleaning. :) Generally any glue inside just 'pops' right out.

Ya gotta admit, us Tennessee boys can get creative at times.

Steve W.

I found using an exacto knife or equivalent scraping edge can scar the brass tube pretty bad - even to the point of affecting the tightness of fit for the pen kit.

I started using a punch from Harbor Freight - the set of 5 is only $4.99. The largest punch fits perfectly inside a Sierra brass tube with only a few 10thousandths play. The other smaller punches can work for other brass tubes too.

I plug with the dental wax on one end, then use an insertion tool to twist the tube into the blank.

After the glue has dried, I can stick the punch in the un-waxed end and "pop" the wax out the other end. Then by using the end of the punch, I can put pressure on the punch and it will clean off the glue with ease! The edge of the punch is sharp enough that it shears out the glue nicely.

Then flip the blank around, and clean out the opposite end.

By the way, the largest punch in the kit that works in the Sierra tube is perfect as a disassembly tool for the top of the Sierra kit. A couple wacks on the punch with a hammer, and it ejects the top off the Sierra - it's contacting the inside edge of the cap and doesn't damage the kit at all.

Bruce in TN.

I do on occasion get a little glue inside the tube, but I put the glue on the tube and work it in and out of the blank, twisting it to spread the glue. I don't put the glue all the way to the end of the tube itself... I spread the glue to the end by pushing the tube into the blank then backing it out so the ends pass through any glue in the middle of the blank.. I insert from both ends so I will cover all of the tube and blank. Since I am pulling the glue from the middle of the tube/blank to the ends I get very little inside. I've tried plugging the tube, but find it more trouble to clear the plugs than to worry about getting a little spot of glue out... don't know if I'm any more right or wrong than others, just the way I started doing it and it works for me.
If I do get a bit inside, it's east to pop out with a little narrow bladed knife I have.. I work carefully so as not to scrape any brass off the inside of the tube.

Top Bottom