Clay as a blank???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

Dear Friends,

I have seen some talk about using polymer clay to make pen blanks. Is this the same stuff that we can purchase at Michael's Craft Store?

Is the clay glued to the tube, or baked onto the tube? Do you use CA glue as a finish? Is it turned with the same lathe tools like a standard blank? Does it last or does it break apart?

Is their a video that explains what, how and were of using clay as a blank?

Thanks,

DrAT

gwilki

Toni's work is out of this world, but just to reply to your questions, I'll jump in.

Several turners on here have wrapped the clay around the tube, baked it and turned it. I prefer to make a roll of clay, bake it, drill it the same as I would any other blank, epoxy in the the tube, then turn it. For finish, I've used CA successfully and I've turned the clay a bit small and cast them, too.

I've not done anything like Toni's work, and I use sculpy clay from Michael's. Works for me.

Drstrangefart

Toni's work is out of this world, but just to reply to your questions, I'll jump in.

Several turners on here have wrapped the clay around the tube, baked it and turned it. I prefer to make a roll of clay, bake it, drill it the same as I would any other blank, epoxy in the the tube, then turn it. For finish, I've used CA successfully and I've turned the clay a bit small and cast them, too.

I've not done anything like Toni's work, and I use sculpy clay from Michael's. Works for me.

I've had a lot of good results doing that same process using FIMO brand clay.

Top Bottom